Chapter 3 Part 2

"You got to be kiddin' me!" I sprawled across my bed on my stomach, eyes wide as Cairo read off the cost of a second hand crib on Craig's List. "A hunnert and fitty dollars?"

"And fifty for the car seat, but the cushion has a stain. Eww, not sure what caused that." She wrinkled her nose. "Don't you know anybody who has had a baby in the last coupla years?"

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, sure, lots of my high school friends have toddlers."

"What about Ms. Pringle from Mama's church? Isn't her little girl about two now?"

"Naw, she's four. I already called, she gave most of her stuff away already."

"Well," my sister sighed, "you have some time. Maybe something cheaper will come up in the meantime. How about your medical bills?"

"I can get on Medicaid for the doctors and the hospital, and I guess I'll breastfeed. That'll cut out formula. If I have a baby shower, I can get some clothes and maybe hit up yard sales or something."

"Be a lot easier if LeGrande would man up."

"Don't start."

"He answering your calls yet?"

"I talked to him a minute this morning. He hasn't told his folks yet. I told him he better or I will."

"Good for you. Don't let him dip out on his responsibilities."

I grunted. Making the list hadn't been as easy as I had figured. The job listings in the area were skimpy at best, and the few jobs available required a bachelor's degree minimum. There were more opportunities thirty miles away in Columbia, but since I didn't have a car, I had pretty much scratched them off the list.

An idea hit. "Hey, how about I come stay with you in Atlanta? I bet I could get a job there a lot easier and I could help you with bills."

"I already live with two other women. We can barely move around in there as it is. I don't think Kaylee or Marnessa would approve another body...and a half." She eyed my still flat belly, no doubt picturing it ballooning over the next few months.

"Man...," I tossed the notebook with my scribbled "plan" to the side and sat up. I winced as my arm pressed against my sensitive breast.

Cairo frowned and began tapping on her phone. Her straightened hair swung at her shoulders as she turned away from me. She looked the picture of success in black tapered slacks and an orange and white print blouse. Her foot tapped in patent leather two inch heels. Tasteful gold hoops hung in her ears and her flawless cocoa face wore only a slash of tangerine lipstick. Cairo was always the fashionista whether she was clubbing or just hanging around the house, like today.

"Why that no good, low down..."

"What?" I tipped my head, trying to see her screen.

She waved the phone like a weapon. "Your baby's donor. He ain't gonna tell his folks. He ain't even in town. He's up in Charlotte for the weekend, partying and hanging out with his crew!"

I stared at the text from under clenched brows. He hadn't said he was in Charlotte when I talked to him earlier. In fact, he hadn't said much at all.

"Prolly something to do with recording," I prevaricated, ashamed to tell my sister how scared I was that I was losing my man.

"That's no excuse. He shoulda told them first thing."

I turned and busied myself refolding shirts in my dresser, not wanting Cairo to see how distraught I was. "I'll give him a week. If he hasn't told them by then I'ma make him wish he never been born."

My sister and I talked smack about men for a while. I hid my broken heart behind a curtain of toughness until the laughter finally eased the pain somewhat. I wondered why that worked, but all that mattered was that it did.