I listened while she rambled on with names. Caleb nudged me and I looked up at him. I noticed that everyone was looking up at me expectantly.

“What?” I asked confused. Everyone laughed.

“Come up here, Rose.” Sammie said. I looked up at her then to Heath, who looked furious. I wandered onto stage.

“What are doing?” I whispered to Sam.

She turned and handed the mic to Courtney, who addressed the crowd, explaining the rules. “I needed someone to take my place since I started dating Heath. And besides, this’ll give Kaolin an excuse to take you out without your brother judging him.” She added hopeful. “We all know, Heath wouldn’t let anyone else buy you.” She winked.

So I stood there awkwardly, watching as the guys offered money for girls from all grades. I looked at Kaolin who was watching me with a smirk. When it was my turn, I stood in the middle of the stage, rubbing my arm uncomfortably. “Five dollars!” A sophomore yelled from the back. I smiled at him grateful, but I really hope someone my age or older bought me.

“Ten!” Another kid shouted.

“Two!” Carter Mason yelled. He was totally gorgeous, a senior, and captain of the basketball team. I smiled at him and he winked.

“Thirty!” A familiar voice added. I turned to see Kaolin with revenge clear in his eyes. If I recalled correctly, Carter had stolen one of Kaolin’s fuck-buddies.

“Thirty-five!” Carter said. He licked his lips and I giggled a bit.

I glanced at Kaolin with an arched eyebrow. He smirked. “Fifty!” He held out the money. Heath asked him what he was doing, but Kaolin ignored him.

Carter scowled. “Sixty!”

“Seventy!” Kaolin said confident. My eyes hut back to Carter.

“Eighty!” He called.

Kaolin smirked. “One hundred.” He said final.

Carter mouthed the word sorry, before sitting down. I could hear a few girls grumbling and gawking at me. “And the winner is Kaolin?” Courtney said in disbelief. Kaolin ran up on stage, handed her the money, and took my hand. He practically dragged me off stage, but instead of leading me to an angry Heath, he led me outside to the hall.

“Why the hell would you sign up for that?” He nearly growled. “Especially when horny Carter is out for bidding.”

I rolled my eyes. “I didn’t! Sammie needed me to replace her! And if I want to go out with Carter I will.” I scowled.

He snorted. “The hell you are.”

I sighed. “Why do you even care Kaolin? It’s not like anything would happen.”

He raised his hands and waved them as if I were insane. “What the hell do you mean nothing would happen! You’re the only person he bid for! All those guys just wanted to get in your pants, Rose!” He shouted.

“Is that all I am? Is that all you think girls are Kaolin?” I smacked his chest. “A good fuck! Hm!” I kept hitting his chest.

He grabbed my hands and pinned me to the wall. “I don’t think that about you.” He spat.

“Then what?” I cried.

“Damnit, Rose! I was trying to protect you!”

“Protect me from what?” I challenged.

“From…” He trailed off looking at me. “…guys like me.” He said softly. He dropped my hands, but stood close enough for me to feel his body heat.

I blinked a few times. “Kaolin, you aren’t bad.” He gave me a weak smile.

“I’m not exactly a saint either.” He chuckled. His eyes lowered to the ground. “Look, you don’t have to go out with me. Just give the date stuff to Ashley and Caleb or use it for yourself.”

I swallowed the lump in my throat. “No.” I tried to sound more confident. “I want to go out with you.”

His eyes shot up.

“The hell if I let that happen!” Heath shouted as he stormed toward us. Sammie ran from behind. “Where do you get off buying her, Kaolin!” Heath yelled.

“Wait! It’s my fault! I needed Rose to take my place since we started dating.” Sammie cooed, patting Heath’s chest. He glared down at her as his chest rose and fell.

“Why are you doing this, Sammie?” His voice softened, as did his expression.

“Baby, I’m not doing anything. I’m letting your sister live her life.” She smiled.

He snarled. “She’s too young.” He insisted.

“She’s sixteen and can handle things on her own.” Sammie encouraged. “Besides, the years almost done, Heath.”

He shook his head then smirked. “Fine, they go on one date.” He kissed Sammie on the lips before walking away. I swallowed the lump in my throat. If I knew Heath, he was up to no good.

-Comment & Vote!

-Become a fan(maybe?)