Chapter 20: Hospitals Are Very Boring and Very Sterile

This chapter was edited on 2/3/2016 and includes minor alterations. Enjoy!

************************************************************

I had told the police what happened, and the doctors. Well, everything that I knew, at least, which wasn't a lot. The doctor let me sit in Chris's room, even though he was still unconscious. They told me he was stable, though he'd lost a good amount of blood. He'd gotten a concussion, and multiple bruised bones in various places along his torso. His right wrist was fractured, so he'd have to wear an air cast until it healed. On the left side of his face from his temple to his cheek bone was a large, dark bruise, and there was a gash on the right side of his forehead, just above his eyebrow that had gotten stitches. They said that was where most of the blood had come from, most likely, and that head injuries bled more. Not that it made me feel any better.

In all, Eliot had fucked him up pretty good. Now we just had to wait for him to wake up.

Mom and Dad had been called, of course, and had come up renting a hotel room for a few days. It was then that I explained exactly what was going on between Eliot and Chris, as well as how I got involved. They took it better than I expected, despite Lizzie's constant insistence that I was gay. The only thing Mom really said was, "Well I'm glad you care enough to do all this for him."

And I did. I cared about Chris a lot. The past day or so I was wondering if I was in love with him or something. Was I? I did a lot for him. Moved for him. Got a job for him. Saved him from an abusive asshole. And none of it was because I needed to, it was because I wanted to. I could've very easily left him alone when I found out he had a boyfriend, and again when I found out exactly what sort of relationship he was in. But I didn't, because I liked him. He was funny, and smart, and yeah he was sort of bitchy at times and a pain in my ass, but that just made him that much better in my opinion. Holy shit, maybe I did love him.

My revelation was cut short by a quiet, yet painful groan on the bed in front of me, making me look up to see Chris shifting and attempting to open his eyes. I stood up from the chair I was occupying, walking closer so I was in his line of vision as I reached down to carefully brush his hair back from his face. Once Chris's eyes were opened enough for him to see, they glanced around for a second before locking on me, and he frowned slightly.

"Hey." I murmured. "How do you feel?"

He was silent as he started to glance around again, making me a little nervous as he slowly went from calm to panicked, his breathing picking up while his eyes darted from side to side.

"Chris, relax. You're alright. We're at the hospital." I said quietly, moving so he was focused on me again. He calmed down slightly, but still looked upset as his eyes watered and his breath hitched. I sighed quietly, bending down to kiss his forehead. "You're alright. Everything's alright."

"I'm sorry."

I backed up slightly to look at Chris, who had tears streaming down the sides of his face as he refused to look at me. His voice was hoarse and cracked as he spoke, making me wince. "I'm so sorry, Arden."

"Don't be, everything's fine. I promise."

"I told you, I told you he'd find us, he always does—I should've known better, you shouldn't have to deal with that, it was a stupid idea—"

"Chris." I interrupted, making him abruptly stop talking. I didn't continue though until his eyes flicked up to my face, and I leaned down a little to press our foreheads together. "Relax. Okay? You're alright. Everything is fine. Trust me, okay?"