Chapter 11: And Everything Goes Downhill After That

This chapter was edited on 2/3/2016 and includes minor alterations. It is also short as hell. Enjoy!

*****************************************************

After our little activity, Chris had rather unexpectedly fallen asleep. I opted for a much needed shower, and once I was all clean and dressed again, I decided to lay back down on the bed. I probably should've slept some, but I wasn't very tired; I felt pretty good, actually. The best I'd felt in days, despite screaming thigh muscles. Feeling movement on the bed, I glanced over to see Chris's eyelids fluttering open before he stared at the ceiling, taking a minute before looking around, and then finally over at me.

"What time is it?"

"Around midnight, last time I checked." I mumbled back. He nodded, bringing his hands up to rub his eyes and stayed silent as I watched him, so I cleared my throat. "I expected you to sleep longer."

He looked at me again for that. "Your bed's weird."

I smiled slightly at his reason, because my bed was a bit harder than his, and leaned back against the wall my bed was against. Chris sat up slightly, getting himself into the same position I was in before resting his forehead on my shoulder. Wrapping one arm around his shoulder, I sighed. It was sort of nice, I guess, to just sit with him. We usually couldn't do that, since he was so worried about Eliot making a surprise visit. But, since Eliot is currently out of the picture, temporarily at least, I could sit with Chris however long I damn well pleased. I ran my fingers over his shoulder, listening to his calm and steady breathing. I was about to say something, just for the hell of it, when a noise stopped me. It sounded like something vibrating. Which was weird, because my phone was in the living room, so it had to be from Chris's phone, wherever it was.

He sighed loudly at the interruption, moving away from me and grabbing his pants from the floor to dig through his pockets. When he reached his phone, he threw the pants back on the floor and moved back over to me, leaning against my side heavily before looking to see what had made his phone go off. His sudden, sharp inhale had me looking over, though I regretted it. Because, of course, who of all people would call? Eliot. Because why not, right? God forbid Chris and I actually have a moment of peace. Maybe that was my punishment for being a hypocrite and sleeping with the guy when he had a boyfriend. To make things worse, Eliot called not once, but seven times. I assumed it was while I was in the shower, because I didn't remember hearing the phone making noise while me and Chris were, otherwise occupied.

Chris sat back up, answering quickly. "Uh h-hi, um, hey Eliot," he stuttered, holding his phone with his shoulder as he tugged on his pants, leaving the room.

Fuck Eliot. Fuck him straight to hell. I leaned against the wall as I listened to Chris talk in the living room, still stuttering over a few words every now and then as I stared up at the ceiling.

"I-I'm sorry, I was asleep. Well w-we were kind of busy. The last week or so, and I was tired. My phone was on vibrate. I know, I'm sorry, I didn't. Eliot, really, I—"

Not willing to listen any further to Chris's very obvious distress, I figured I should probably get up. Relaxing time was definitely over. Grabbing my boxers, I pulled them on slowly, occasionally glancing to my bedroom door until I saw Chris walk back in, albeit with a dejected and vaguely annoyed look. He didn't say anything to me; just walked over and grabbed his shirt and glasses, putting them on quickly. I thought it was a little odd, but, then again, he was always a little weird after talking to Eliot, and I couldn't really blame him for it. What did bother me though was that instead of talking to me, he just kept glancing over to me. Didn't say a single word as he got himself completely dressed. That was slightly irritating.

"So. Are you gonna to say something? Or just keep looking at me?" I asked quietly. Chris glanced over to me one last time before sighing and hanging his head. He mumbled something after that, but I couldn't make it out, he was talking so quietly.

"Say that again?"

"I can't keep seeing you," he repeated firmly, and I just had to ask, didn't I?

"You..." I frowned, crossing my arms over my chest. "Why not?"

Chris gave me a pointed look, like the answer was supposed to be obvious. "Because, Arden, I have a boyfriend. A boyfriend that I've been with for three years. And I'm cheating on him with a guy that I've known for, what, three months? You know, I was perfectly happy before you came along-"

"Oh, so this is all my fault now?"

"Yes! It is your fault! Because if you hadn't come along and started being so nice to me—"

"Well, I'm so sorry for not being a jackass! I'll remember that next time I meet someone!"

"Just—" Chris paused, pinching the bridge of his nose as I stood there fuming. How could he blame this on me? It wasn't my fault he was in an abusive relationship. It wasn't my fault he met the guy in the first place. It wasn't my fault that he kept agreeing to sleep with me. So what the fuck?

He resumed talking then, gaining my attention back from my own internal questioning. "Just. Leave me alone, alright? I can't. I can't do this with you anymore."

On top of the blame, I sort of felt like I was being broken up with. Again. Which was not a pleasant feeling. After that realization, I didn't feel quite as angry anymore. I was more upset than anything. Did what Chris and I had constitute as breaking up, if we suddenly decided to stop? Technically, I did just take the guy out to dinner on a date. Even if we weren't officially together, the situation felt very similar.

"Can I ask why, at least? Why all of a sudden?" I asked quietly. Chris sighed quietly at that, looking over to me.

"Because I don't want to have an affair with someone that I have more feelings for than the person I'm supposed to be in a relationship with."

Oh. Well then, that was interesting turn of events. But, not completely surprising as it probably should've been. As I stood there thinking about what Chris had just said, he walked over to me, standing on his toes to kiss my cheek a few times. "Please don't call me or anything," he murmured. I stayed silent, frowning back slightly. He hesitated, then leaned in slowly, pressing his lips against mine for only a minute before pulling back again. "I'm sorry, Arden. I have to go."