Chapter 6.1

Chapter Six 

The Manor 

'Thank god that fog's gone,' said Marvin as they came to the top of the lane. He looked back down to where they'd come from earlier. He could just about make out the market in the distance and the shuffling of people along the long grey street. 'I half expected to see it here, hanging eerily around, waiting for us.' 

'Strange how it just drifted off, isn't it?' said Stella, fully recovered now from her ordeal.  

'Yeah, definitely something very strange there,' said Marvin. He looked around for a few seconds as if expecting the fog to return at any minute. 'At least we can see where we're going now.' 

'Which is where?' said Stella, gripping his hand tighter. 

'Got to be that way,' he said pointing to the right. 'The only other way is down to where we came from.' 

He turned the corner back onto the main street, Stella behind him, and started walking upwards, away from the market again. Dark grey buildings lined the way like old warehouses along the docks. A few small windows broke the monopoly of grey and black doorways outlined the entrances. Gaslights lined the way casting weirdly shaped shadows. The overall effect was cold and eerie. 

Stella shuddered. 'This is like some kind of ghost town... with actual ghosts!' 

'Hmmmm,' muttered Marvin, avoiding direct eye contact.  

'Do you think that man in the shop was really a ghost? He didn't look it? Do you think he knew I was psychic?' 

Why wouldn't she just stop talking about dead people for a minute? He had to hold his secrets inside; to stop them rolling off his tongue. He needed quiet. 'Ssshhh,' he said at last, 'someone might hear us coming.' 

He walked along beside her, thoughts bouncing off the inner walls in his head. A ghost girl. He was falling for a ghost girl. How was that ever going to work out? 

'Why is this so important to you?' said Stella, breaking the silence. 'I mean, me getting my memories back.' 

'It's just that I know what it's like to be different, to have something not quite right about you,' said Marvin, struggling to find the right words. 'I can't be fixed, but you can.' 

'What are you talking about?'  

'There are things about me that can't be changed, that's all,' said Marvin, worrying that he may have said too much already.  

'But you've already changed - since we first met you've been calmer, more considerate and you're certainly not as tactless.' 

Marvin bit his lip. He was so tempted to tell her the truth - by the way Stella, I can hear and see ghosts, oh and you're dead - no, this was not the time or the place. Instead he chose to agree with her. 'Not sure about the tactless part though.' 

'So,' said Stella, changing the subject, 'where are we supposed to find this manor?'  

'We just keep walking. The old man said at the top of the hill and this is definitely - getting - steeper,' said Marvin.  

The hill continued to stretch upwards, causing Marvin to continuously stop to catch his breath before re-joining Stella who seemed to be enjoying the strenuous walk. 

She marched to the very top of the hill leaving Marvin some way behind. 'Whoa!' she gasped. 'I know where that weird fog went to!'