Chapter 15--Arrival at Fort Randall

Start from the beginning

            “Has your arm taken root to that deck rail?”  Michael gave as good as he got.

            “Hell, it might have, I’ve been leaning here against it so long.”  Big Nate grinned again.         

            Michael realized he liked the mountain man.   He liked a man that could laugh at himself.  Michael smiled at Big Nate, the first genuine smile that had creased Michael’s face in a long time.

            “I ain’t never had much use for the indoors,” Big Nate confided.   “I get to feeling like I’m trapped up or something.  I get enough of that in the winter.  I sure ain’t staying indoors when I don’t have to.”

            “I know how you feel,”  Michael agreed. 

            The steamboat rounded a bend, and up ahead Michael could see a boat landing. Fort Randall, he assumed.  God willing, it would be the last fort he would ever be assigned to.  Three more months left to serve.  He hoped nothing happened this time to force his re-enlistment. 

            A bitter frown marred his features as he thought back again to that fateful day he and his best friend, Tolliver Johnson, had deserted the United States Army.  The day Rose McGregor had shot him point blank with her uncle’ shotgun...

           The day he had regained consciousness in the temporary infirmary belonging to the United States Army.  The infirmary had been set up in the Plantation home the army had confiscated for its bivouac from the family of Rose McGregor.  

            Tolliver stood as his bedside.  Michael misunderstood the shameless tears pouring down his friend’s cheeks; thinking they were for him.  “I’m all right, Tolliver,”  Michael had assured his friend. but there was too much pain, and he lost consciousness again.  When he awoke the next time, it was dark. Tolliver was gone.  In his place stood Major Jeremiah Roundtree himself, better known as The Butcher.   The enlisted men called him that behind his back, because of his harshness. No one would have dared call him that to his face.

            Michael’s bones turned to water as he looked up at the officer towering over him. 

           “I hear you ran into some trouble today,” Major Roundtree accused.           

           “Yes Sir.  I did,” answered Michael through numb lips.

            “We’ve been having a lot of deserters lately.  You didn’t happen to see any of them while you were out there foraging, did you, soldier?” 

            Horrorstruck, Michael looked into Major Roundtree’s steel-gray eyes and knew that somehow, the Major knew the truth about him and Tolliver. 

            “No Sir.  I did not.  Only civilians, Sir.”  Michael swallowed convulsively. His throat was dry as a prairie wind in mid-summer.

            “Your Term is almost up, soldier.  Only three months left to go.  We need good soldiers like you and your good friend, Tolliver Johnson.  He reenlisted today. Did you know that?”

            Michael felt faint all of a sudden.  He closed his eyes against the knowing glare in the Major’s eyes. Tolliver’s tears now made perfect sense.   Goddamn Major Roundtree all to hell, Michael thought, for forcing Tolliver to reenlist.  Just like he was now pressuring him to do the same, or go up on charges of desertion. The Major didn’t have to say the words.  The threat was implicit in his tone of voice, his body posture, his knowing eyes.

            “The United States Army is proud to have Lieutenat Tolliver for another term--just like it will be proud to have you for another three years.”  He gave Michael time to let that sink in before he continued:

            “you’re a long way from home, soldier and gravely injured.”  He leaned down close to Michael, his face only a few inches from Michael’s own.  Michael would never forget the garlicky smell of the Major’s breath as long as he lived.  “My advice to you, son, would be to follow your friend’s example.  So, we can take care of you.  Ship you up North, where they have better medical care than we can provide in a field hospital down here amongst the confederates and the yellow-bellied deserters.  Have I made myself clear?” He demanded.  “Be a shame to see that leg go septic, now wouldn’t it?”

            The Major stood up to his full height and just looked down at Michael.  He shoved a clipboard at Michael.  “Sign it,” the Major ordered.

            Silent tears of helpless rage were slipping unchecked down the side of Michael’s face as he scribbled his name across the bottom of the page; condemning himself to another three years of this hell. 

            Despite his reenlisting, Micael's leg went septic anyways.  The Major refused him leave to see his Aunt Lillian and Uncle George when they reached Savannah.  He left there with them none the wiser as to his whereabouts.  Tolliver was killed on the march to South Carolina. 

            Micheal wondered if he would ever be able to forgive himself.....Or, Rose McGregor?

            The Lilly Belle was moving in close to the bank, when Michael became aware of his surroundings again.

            “Well, Lieutenant, looks like we’ve made it,” Big Nate stated unnecessarily.

            “Yep.”  Michael gripped his bag and waited militarily erect for them to lower the gangplank.