Chapter Eight

"Is this you?" I ask, looking at a picture in a cracked frame above her dresser.

Nia looked back and smiled small, "Yeah. I was about ten when me and my family took that picture."

"What happened to them?" I dare to ask and she started stuffing her duffel bag harshly.

"My mom is heaven knows where, dad's with his other family in Florida, and my sister is with her husband and kids, while I'm just stuck here, rotting in this hellhole we call Gotham with no one, no-"

She stopped and stared down at her bag before closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.

"Come on, let's get out of here." She says, zipping her bag up then swinging the strap over her shoulder.

It made me realize that I didn't know a lot about her.

I was going to let it go for now, hoping she'd tell me on her own time.

The drive back to my place was silent, her eyes glued to the window. Not once did she speak, not once did she look at me, although I couldn't stop looking at her.

"You know, I haven't had the best family experience either." I finally say, trying to ease her a little.

"Now is not the time to play the which one's worse game, Jason." She says, sinking down into her seat a little more.

"I'm not, I'm not. I'm just telling you you're not alone. I've been there, and I'm here for you." I reassure, and she finally finds the decency to look at me.

"Thanks." She says quietly.

"No problem." I reply, shrugging a little as if it meant nothing to me.

The silence was a little more comfortable now, until she gave in.

"So..." She begins, "What was your family like?"

I chuckled a little, briefly shaking my head as I began, "My dad was a crook who was sent to prison, and even after his sentence, he never came back. Mom became a drug addict and disappeared, and I don't have any siblings. I grew up on the streets alone, learning to fend for myself."

"Is that what made you become Red Hood?"

My smile dropped as she started going into things I did mind talking about.

"No." I simply answer, keeping my eyes on the road.

"I'm sorry." She adds and I nod.

I didn't mind telling people about my real parents, it barely bothered me now. But the uprising of Red Hood was another story.

We made it back home where she started unpacking her things. I was watching the news as I made dinner: pizza.

I began to think as I attempted to flatten the thick dough.

Nia and I hadn't talked much after we got back, and I don't know if I minded it or not.

Maybe I did, maybe I didn't.

It was good to know we had something deep in common, and it made me want to get to know more about her.

I caught myself smirking a little as a knock was placed on the wall.

"Whatcha cookin'?" Nia asks, walking into the kitchen.

"Homemade pizza?" I answer unsurely, and she laughs as she washes her hands in the sink. She dried her hands off and came to my side again, "Here. Let me show you how it's done."

She took my hand and placed some flour on it. Placing my hand back on the dough, she forced my hands to squish and ball the dough to stretch it a little.

Her hair was in a ponytail as she began messing with the dough herself, trying to explain with words.

"Jason, are you listening?" She asks, and I blink.

"No."

She smiled and shook her head, "I'm not repeating all of that. Just...scootch over."

Her hip playfully bumped mine, making me step aside. I smirked a little, watching her shape the dough into the circle almost perfectly.

She was so attractive, and had the personality of a best friend.

What is more charming than that?