Chapter Five

I took a deep breath, unbuttoning the top button of my dress shirt. How did I let Nia convince me to go to this gala?

Walking into the glass building, I looked around. Nia was nowhere to be found and I was going to be pissed if she got me to come for no reason.

Eyes watched me as I squished through the dancing crowd. I headed to the snack-bar and picked up a Ritz cracker, scooping up some dip with it. "Why, hello there." A female voice says and I look over to my side to a blond, "Are you alone?"

"At the moment-"

"Aw," She hums smoothly, dragging her hand down my arm, "Someone like you shouldn't be alone."

"I-"

"Come on, let's dance," She interrupts again with a smile, "Then maybe we can go somewhere a little more private." She forced her hand into mines as she started pulling me into the crowd, and when I turned around from the snack-bar, the blond stopped in her tracks.

"I see you've met Jenny." Nia smirks, one hand on her hip and the other holding a glass of champagne. She wore a long silver dress that fitted her curves perfectly. I could see her leg through the slit in her dress and she wore matching silver flats. I was surprised since every other girl here was wearing heels.

"Hello, Nia." Jenny says spitefully and Nia just smiled. "Excuse me, you're in the way of my favorite snack." She says, keeping her eyes on Jenny. She moved out of the way, but still gripped on my arm. "Oh, don't mind me. Just getting my watermelons." Nia smirked, glimpsing at me with a smile as she picked up the square watermelons on toothpicks. I sent her a look before Jenny pulled me into the crowd.

"Oh, hey. I forgot to tell you something," She says after taking a bite of her watermelon, turning over to me. Jenny had stayed beside me and Nia looked over to her, "I need to speak to him in private."

Jenny scoffed, but let my arm go and walked away. Turning back to the snack-bar, she picked up a strawberry.
"What's up with that girl? She's so clingy."

"Oh, don't worry about her. She's the slut of all sluts." Nia says as she turns around and forces the strawberry in my mouth. I smirked as I bit into it and took the top out of my mouth. "You're even cuter without the mask than I thought you would be." She smirks, watching me from the corner of her eye. I chuckled as she continued, "And it sounds like you don't like clingy girls."

"Who does?" I counter and she locked arms with mine. "Am I being clingy?"

I arched a brow, "Do you want me to not like you?"

She laughed while taking a bite of her strawberry. "Come on." She says, taking my hand and pulling me into the crowd.

We started to dance, and she smiled, "I didn't think you'd have a tux." I rolled my eyes, "Even though I'm a badass vigilante doesn't mean I can't have a tuxedo."

She chuckled and rested her head on my shoulder, letting our dance become silent.

Suddenly, the doors of the building flew open with a loud thud. The dancing stopped along with the classical music when gunshots rung through the ceiling. I looked ahead to see who was here. I saw red and black through the moving crowd as whoever came closer.

"Where is Nia Hayes?" An Australian voice asks boldly, and I immediately knew who it was. Slade Wilson, a.k.a Deathstroke.

I pressed Nia closer to me as I stepped back, making sure she was out of sight. Why did Deathstroke want her?

Pushing backward through the crowd, we made it to an emergency exit. Well this was an emergency, so we ran through it. No doubt we got their attention with the loud door when there was yelling in the building. I grabbed Nia's hand as we ran away from the building. The one time I didn't have my suit and this happens...

"Jason! Slow down!" She says as she pants heavily, "I don't do running!"

I rolled my eyes and picked her up bridal style. "You might wanna start then."

My Mercedes Benz was parked out front and we were going towards the back. I saw a shadow jump over us and onto the next building. I paused and put Nia back on the ground.

Nightwing walked from the shadows and I immediately told him what was going on.

"Why does Deathstroke want her?" He asked, then glared at Nia. She shrugged her shoulders, kind of hiding behind me. I had to say, Nightwing could be intimidating when he wanted.

"Look, where's Batman?"

"Joker business. Along with Batgirl and Red Robin." He answers, crossing his arms.

"I don't have my suit so you'll have to deal with him for a little. I'll be back in like 2 minutes," I smirked as I continued, "If you can last that long."

"Haha, so funny I forgot to laugh." He instantly grappled off of the ground after his comment, so I grabbed Nia again and started the run back to my place, taking all the short cuts I knew.

We finally made it to my apartment and I hurried to get changed. "Wait what about me?" She asks as I flip my shirt off. "Stay here. They won't find you here and as long as you stay away from windows, it should stay that way."

"Will you be okay? I mean that's Deathstroke back there. A merciless assassin, a deadly mercenary." She says worriedly as I put on my brown jacket and load my belt with amo. "Enough with the adjectives," I command, grabbing my red domino mask and putting it on my eyes as she took a step into my room, "Are you really going to go back to fight him for me when we've already gotten away?"

I grabbed one of my Red Hood helmets from my secret shelf. "I'll fight anyone for you, Nia." I reply and before she could say anything, I jumped through the window, using my grappling gun to shoot me back the way we came.