Chapter Nine

Lumina rolled into the castle later that evening. The dwarves were all gathered around standing and whispering.

"Your whispers do not go unnoticed. Speak freely." She snapped.

The dwarves slowly became silent. Irritation clung to her skin. Her eyes flashed dangerously. She clenched her fists and her silver claws bored into her skin.
She began to stalk around the dwarves. Her long cape and gown made a low scratching sound as they trailed behind her on the stone.
"Do you think me to be a tyrant?" She glared down at all of them.
"I am no tyrant. But I can be." Lumina growled, her fangs showing.
"I could crush any rebellion like a gnat. But I'm not your leader."
She withdrew from the scared circle. She sighed, her anger fleeting as it was replaced with disappointment, and just general sadness.
"You all used to have such a light way about you. It's a shame. I feel that I may have been the one that crushed that light."

Lumina let her face fall as she crumpled to the floor. Tears streamed down her face as her wings engulfed her like a protective case.
"I am... so.. so sorry." She cried. Her heart lurched. She was weak, vulnerable. She was insane.
Bilbo emerged from the group. His face was full of determination.
"Lumina. Look at me."
She wiped away her tears from her eyes.
"You are a strong, noble woman. You do not need to be causing so much pain and fear for those around you."

She shook her head.
"I'm sorry... I don't know what to do anymore..."
Bilbo knelt in front of her, and put a hand on her shoulder.
"You will figure it out."

"Thank you."
____________________

The next morning rolled around and Lumina awoke. She slowly put her legs over the side of her bed and glanced to the side were her husband would have laid

She dressed in a dark red, not the whites and light yellows that she had been used to nor her new change into black.
It was a cross.
Her hair was down in a braid rather than the tight updo or loose waves. She was compromising.
Lumina told herself that this was far healthier than letting herself be completely consumed in grief and anger.
However, she still wore her crown.
The damned symbol was hers and hers alone to bear. The weight of the crown anchored her to the bitter reality that she was alone in this world.
She entered the commons room. The windows were shut and only a few dim candles were lighting the room.
A silence fell over the dwarves. They stared at her like she was a scared wolf that might lash out if frightened further.
She walked to the shutters.
"Let some light in. It's not a prison."