8:46 A.M.

Sirens were wailing in the early light of Tuesday morning. I was used to the sounds, they were actually a pretty good alarm clock.

Bright sunlight was slowly creeping through the grey silk of my curtains, causing dim shadows to dance around my room. My clock read six and I knew it was time to get up and go to work.

I yawned, my body molded into the warm duvet, my eyes drooping with the same heavy exhaustion I experienced every morning. I swung the cover to my right, a small chill rubbing onto my exposed skin, tiny goose bumps forming.

I sat up in bed, taking a deep breath, readying myself for the day. At least the bitter morning of Monday was over.

I quickly made my bed and headed for those silk grey curtains, opening them carefully. Hot sunlight washed over my eyes, causing me to back up a bit from the view, eyes squinting.

After the few seconds of adjustment, I made my way back to the window. The honey colored sunlight painted my pale arms a golden yellow.

I looked down at the city below me, people bustling about, going to work as well. This city truly never sleeps.

After a few minutes of admiration of my location, I walked to my closet. Sophisticated clothes pretty much made my closet look like some sort of tomb. Blacks, greys, whites, and occasionally some blue hung in the dark space. I flicked on the light and grabbed silk black pants and a white cardigan.

I changed quickly, the clock was ticking now and I had to leave to go to work. I brushed my dark brown hair, putting it up in a taut bun. Sometimes I missed wearing jeans everyday but life changes when you grow up and become an adult.

I made my way to the kitchen, treating my kitten, Buttercup, to a scratch on the ears and bowl of food and water for the long day ahead.

I grabbed my keys and usual briefcase, making my way to the door, high heels clicking. I stopped abruptly, hand half to the doorknob when I almost forgot the most important work essential.

I turned around, making my way back to the kitchen and spotting three manila folders lying on the kitchen counter.

I sighed, my mind was a huge storm of confusion and memory loss this early in the morning. I quickly slid the folders underneath my arm and made my way back to the door.

I locked my apartment door and slipped my keys into the front pocket of my leather briefcase. I made my way to the elevator, waiting for the lift to come up to the fifth floor.

Once the elevator arrived, I stepped in, the small space empty. I pushed the button to the first floor and made my way down, lifting my arm to reveal the time. It was seven, I had good timing this morning.

I said a quick good morning to Chris, the doorman, and rushed down to the subway station three blocks from my apartment.

Many other businessmen and women like me were hurriedly getting onto the trains, all probably going to the same place.

The city I knew and loved flashed by me in dim colors from the underground train. People getting off, on, off, on, the cycle never ending.

About half an hour of switching trains and lots of fast paced walking, I made it to my place of work. The place I've been working for about four years now.

I checked the time, it was about eight now.

The creamy white inside of the building was welcoming today, wafting smells of breakfast foods and coffee were swirling around my senses. I spotted the familiar escalators, dozens of people going up and down them with hurried steps or standing with ease.

Twelve floors later, I stepped into my office. Saying hello to John and Christina on the way in. John was a lawyer, Christina a secretary. Like me.

After quickly shuffling my manila folders and starting up my computer, it was time for my daily dose of morning coffee. The time now read 8:30 am.

I made my way to the kitchen, the smell of coffee growing stronger with each step. I rounded the corner, a familiar figure already there, making two cups of coffee.

"Morning, Julie." I smiled, dusting off my white cardigan and walking over to Julie. Julie was an older women, about her late forties. Her skin was golden, light wrinkles complemented the sides of her mouth and the corners of her eyes. She was jolly, her sand colored hair pin straight, stopped right at her shoulders.

"Hello, Miss. Steets." She smiled, sliding my half-made cup of coffee to me. I nodded my head at her as a thank you and began to finish the process. Poured in three sugars, a teaspoon of milk, and began to stir.

"This week is already dragging." I sighed, stirring the liquid mindlessly.

"Definitely, my dear." Julie muttered back, sighing in unison. She threw out her stirrer and placed the lid on top of her cup, the familiar company name sprawled across the pale yellow texture.

She turned to me, placing her hip on the light cream colored counter, raising her drink to her lips.

"It only felt like summer was yesterday, I can already feel this harsh winter coming on." I chuckled, throwing out my own stirrer and reaching for a lid.

"Well, you know, that's how it goes. But work ain't so bad, at least we get paid, all that matters." She laughed quietly, her smile making my heart warm up. Julie was a great woman, wrinkles and all.

I laughed back, pushing a loose hair that dropped from my "tight" bun.

"I wish I could stay here and talk to you forever, Zo, but John has been a pain in the neck with this case he's been working on. We'll talk at lunch, salami and lettuce sandwich, correct?" Julie asked, her voice growing more high pitched as she began to walk away from the kitchen.

"Yep!" I called back, sipping the bitter but energized taste of coffee, the liquid gliding down my throat.

"Oh, Julie, hold on!" I called out, placing my cup of coffee back onto the counter, rushing back out to the hallway. Julie was already there, staring at me with expectancy.

"Do you know what today's date is? You know how forgetful I can be." I sighed. Julie smiled her famous crinkly smile.

"Of course, dear, it's September 11th." I nodded in a thank you and Julie turned away.

I finally sat back down at my desk, checking the clock on my computer for the last time.

It was 8:40 am.