Master

Monday, 1:48am

         “Really, Derek, you should have seen this coming,” Kate said, advancing another few steps towards him. “It’s the perfect combination--Kanima strength and agility with Hunter skill and patience. I’m the ultimate killer now thanks to you. And now that I know how to control my abilities, I’m not alone.”

         Derek’s eyes narrowed. “What are you talking about?” he demanded.

         Kate’s smile widened. “Oh Derek,” she sighed. “You should know better than anyone that once you have the power, you don’t keep it to yourself. No, you share it.”

         Derek’s eyes widened. “But you couldn’t have,” he murmured. “You can’t—“

         “Make more Kanimas?” Kate finished. She laughed. “Derek, sweetie, I can do whatever I want. Kanimas follow different rules than you wolves. There are no alphas and betas for us. I am the master, and my creations follow my every command.”

         “That shouldn’t be possible,” Derek insisted, as if by saying it he could make it true. “Kanimas need a master to follow.”

         Kate tilted her head to the side and pouted. “Not everyone follows the rules, sweetie,” she taunted. “Besides, it’s not me you should be worried about right now. Haven’t you noticed how awfully quiet it is in here?”

         Derek snarled. “What did you do?”

         Kate laughed and took a step back. Her eyes illuminated gold again, and she gave a reptilian screech that echoed through the halls. Derek’s hair stood on end as he heard a chorus of calls respond to Kate. She had been right; she was not alone. “I told you they follow my every command,” she told Derek. “If I tell them to, every last person in this hospital dies. And don’t doubt I’ll do it. I think I’ve proven to you that I’ll do whatever it takes to get what I want.”

         “And what is it you want?” Derek snarled.

         Kate bared her teeth in a fierce smile. “I want Beacon Hills to burn. And I’ll start by destroying you. Matt, bring him out.”

         Derek’s eyes widened as the boy from the Onyx appeared, dragging a body along with him. He pulled the person to their feet by their throat, his claws pressing the soft flesh just beneath the jaw. Stiles stared at Derek, his eyes so wide with fear that Derek couldn’t make himself look away.