The Flaw of the Mind

Monday, 1:17am

         “The hospital? What are you gonna’ do, Matt? Seriously, what the Hell is wrong with you?”

         Matt smiled into the rearview mirror at Stiles as he parked his car in the empty lot. “I told you, someone wants to see you,” he said. He hopped out of the car and opened Stiles’ door, dragging him out of the backseat and onto the road. “Don’t bother screaming, either,” he said. “There’s no one to hear you.”

         “Where is everyone?” Stiles demanded. His mind jumped to Mrs. McCall, who worked the night shift at the hospital. Was she okay?

         Matt shrugged. “Most of them are alive,” he said. “Just… detained.” He dragged Stiles towards the door with surprising strength. Stiles never would have guessed that Matt was so strong.

         The automatic doors slid open, and Matt pulled Stiles past the front desk to the elevator. He dropped Stiles in the corner and pushed one of the buttons. The elevator doors closed, and Stiles tried to focus on loosening the zip ties securing his ankles together. If he could just wriggle his feet free, he had a chance—a small chance—of escaping.

         Matt’s foot shot back so quickly, Stiles barely had time to register it before it connected with his stomach. He gagged, the air leaving his lungs as his back slammed against the elevator wall. He pulled his legs up to protect his stomach from another blow as Matt smiled back at him.

         “Don’t try that again,” he warned as the elevator doors opened. “I don’t want to have to break your legs.”