46b- Orphaned

But something stopped her as she went to run from the castle. A small, weedy boy, sixteen or seventeen at most, was curled up against the wall, barely alive and struggling to breathe. Mothering instinct taking over, Dora stopped and hurried over to him. She knelt by his side, pulling back slightly as he scrambled to get away from her.

"Its okay sweetie." She said gently, moving an arm to help him sit back up against the stone structure. His eyes were wide and full of fear, deep down he knew his chances of seeing another dawn were slim to non existent. Dora gently smoothed the tendrils of sweaty, pale blonde hair off of his forehead, speaking again in a soft, kind voice, "What's your name kid?"

"Colin Creevey." The small child whispered, tears rolling down his face, "I'm scared. Am I going to die?"

"No darlin'." The young mother murmured, looking into the honest, blue orbs of his eyes, "Look at me Colin. You've gotta be strong my little war hero, think of all of the people who want to see you come home again. They need you, you've got such a bright future ahead of you Colin, take it."

"I don't want to be here." He said quietly, "I shouldn't be here. Let me go home, I want my mum. I want to be safe."

"I shouldn't be here either." Dora admitted softly, "My little newborn twins are waiting for me at home. I need them, I need them like your mum needs you. Be brave, be strong."

"I don't want to die." Colin whispered, crying once more, "Not here; struggling for breath, on my own."

"You're not on your own." She assured him softly, still kneeling down but pulling him closer to her, wand still gripped tightly in one hand, "Look up there." She pointed up to the clear sky in the distance, over Hogwarts there was fire, spells and people flying about on broomsticks, some occasionally falling. But out beyond the boundaries, over the hills and mountains, the sky was clear, stars littered across it, "My dad used to tell me that each and every one of those stars was someone who loved us, who wanted to make sure we were safe. So we're never quite alone, think of all those people who care about you Colin. Be strong for them."

"But I can't." He whimpered, tears running down both of their faces', "I'm going to die."

"Who was it who did this to you? Who was it Colin?" Dora asked him gently but firmly, tightening the grip on the strip of wood between her fingers. The young boy said nothing, his eyes fixed wide with terror at a point just above her shoulder. Taking in a deep, calming breath, Dora slowly turned her head and body to see behind her. Nothing was there. She strained her eyes into the shadows for a few moments more, and audibly sighed when she caught a brief glimpse of the figure that stay hidden just out of sight.

She was up on her feet in seconds, but it was too late; her wand was out of her hand and skittering across the floor. Bellatrix Lestrange gave a mad, triumphant cackle, preparing to finally murder the recently defenceless witch. Hair bright white, Dora clenched her fists, glaring at her deranged aunt with her nostrils flared.

"You have escaped me for far too long Nymphadora." The frizzy haired woman hissed, beginning to circle the young auror and completely ignoring the original victim, Colin, before continuing speaking, "You shamed our hallowed family tree when you married the filthy wolf and then had your little cubs. Disgusting the way you treat your dearest aunties. We are you superiors, we have everything you do and more. Your precious Albus thought we were weak, and look where he ended up." By that pint the two had stopped walking in tight circles and Bellatrix had her wand drawn, pointing it right to Dora's throat.

"No." The young metamorphagus said clearly, "I'm not gonna be scared by you. Do whatever you want to me, I will not bow to you. Not now, not ever. I'm here for my family, here to give them a life, a future. Why are you here? Hmm? You are here because there is nothing good left in your heart. No love, kindness, sympathy. You're the weak one, you don't know how to feel emotion."

"Avada Kedavra!" Bellatrix screamed in rage, sending the spell flying straight into her niece's chest. Dora hit the floor even as the word finished, a scream echoing from her lips.

A lone tear rolled down her already cooling cheeks, it held the universe within it. It was the tears in her eyes as he left her both times and the droplet of sweat that beaded on her forehead as she brought their two children into the world. Everything was shattered on the floor, it was all over for her. The life left her eyes and body became devoid of motion. The last thing she thought of was her family. Her mother, father, Teddy and Hope. But most of all Remus, the man she loved more than life, the man she died for.

She had betrayed him, broken the last promise they had made to each other. Her children were alone, defenceless in a world where Voldemort may soon run free. As a mother, wife, her two most important life tasks; she had failed.

There was nothing left. It was all black, with the last ashes settling as the wind finally died down. Painless, emotionless eternity.