Chapter 2: An Unexpected Change

Outside Vatican City

Roma, Italy

"In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."

Those were Father Marcus' last words after he sprinkled a good amount of holy water into a newly-furbished nursery room. It had the color motif pink on it, owned by a cute baby girl of two-years-old. After kissing his platinum pectoral cross, he made a sign of the cross and adjusted his black clerical vestment into place. He was apparently requested specifically to do the rite after it was clearly evident that there was something of dark spiritual value in the room of a new couple's daughter. The rite was meant to repel any demonic creatures and Marcus was at ease now, feeling more than certain that no harm will come to the child.

After taking a final look on his work, he collected all of his ritual belongings, placed it in his black leather valise and stepped out of the room. Once outside, he was immediately greeted by the worry-stricken husband and his wife, who was tightly holding the toddler in one arm.

"It is done, Mr. Belforte," he announced, eyeing the man in front of him who had eyeglasses on. The man bowed low, thanking the priest for his help, and extended an envelope of money.

"Thank you, Sir, but I cannot accept your donation. You know I am doing this freely," the exorcist priest said, declining the thick envelop without hesitation.

"Yes, I was informed too by your secretary, Father, but please...just take this. My wife and I would be so glad if you will accept this. It would really mean a lot to us," the husband stated.

After a long pause and a silent grumble, Marcus accepted and nodded slightly towards their way. "Thank you," he said.

"No, thank you Father," the wife corrected, producing an appreciative smile, "What you did is very important to us. Now, we can finally live at peace in this house because you have blessed it free from all evil spirits.

"Just doing my job, Mrs. Belforte," Marcus replied. His gaze fell on the chubby-cheeked toddler and this made him curve a small smile. Children are ever more precious than any material things in the world. Whatever he could do, he would do just in order for them to be safe from the dangers of the dark.

A stretch of hallway away, there was a winding staircase connecting the first floor to the second and this was where a certain familiar person emerged. Marcus consequently nodded in acknowledgement when his secretary priest, Father Julien, waved a hand. He was three summers younger than him being that Father Julien was twenty-five years old, and it showed physically judging from the baby face of the secretary priest and his thick wavy dark hair -- quite a stark contrast from Father Marcus' short golden brown ones.

"I should go Mr. Belforte, Mrs. Belforte, I believe I am needed elsewhere. Have a good day," he informed and only stepped forward when the couple cleared the pathway.

"Good day too Father and thank you once again," Mr. Belforte stated, taking his wife by the waist and pressing her closer to his side.

Once Marcus was an armslength away from his counterpart, he stated with curious brows, "What's up?"

"The Holy Pope wants to talk to you Father," Father Julien informed.

An 'oh' formed in the latter's mouth, but didn't further his questioning. Marcus knew that something was up if the Holy Pope himself asks for an audience with him. It was always the case whenever that happens, and thinking about it now, there was no other reason for the hectic call other than his same old business. Managing the winding stairs of the Belforte house double time, he knew that to waste precious minutes wouldn't be advantageous if there was a grave of a problem at hand.