Chapter 1

I sat on the streets, crying.

I was still mourning over the day when I was seven. The memories were unforgettable. The flames, the colour of the flames, burned in my mind. I pushed the thoughts away.

"Hestia, my dear, dinner is ready." I knew that Frans liked me. More than liked. I could tell by his sea green eyes, gazing at me every day, ever since we escaped the wrath of the fires.

I was almost certain that one day he would come down and propose to me. I didn't care if he was an Eight. I have suffered far worse.

I sighed. We had known each other for nine years. Still I didn't know where my heart lay.

Dinner was basically a morsel of an apple. Every day, from the day when his eyes met mine, he tried to provide for me. He did everything he could. I couldn't blame him. Under his radiant smile on his face, I could clearly see how much this has exhausted him. I nibbled on my apple, brooding on my past, my present and my future.

What happened when I was young, I'd rather not say. I know that every time I mention it, tears immediately start pouring out of my eyelids.

My present. What did I have? I have nothing, no shelter, no possessions, no family. Even if you counted Frans, who was the closest person I've ever encountered, you still wouldn't find me with a lot of acquaintances. No one except for Frans cares about me. I wondered what it would be like to have a family, to have someone who actually cared for you.

My future was unknown. I imagined it as a dark path ahead of me, unraveling as I trudge through my life. What did I stand to lose? Nothing, because I don't even have a single thing.

To me, the company of Frans was the only thing that kept me going. I knew there was hope somewhere, however dim it is, but he is kind. He tries. He puts the effort in to make me feel better.

A single tear fell down my cheek. It was a Friday. We, as Eights, were supposed to watch the Capital Report in our province office. And I had to suffer all over again, glaring at Prince Calix, who was drowning head to toe in luxury when I was left in the darkness to shiver.

"Hestia?" Frans said softly. This was our cue. I stared down at my pants, once a glorious pair only Twos would be able to afford to wear. Now, it was worn down and ripped, and way too small for me. It was the only piece of clothing I had left alongside with my dirty shirt and my jacket, which was patched all over. Sighing for the second time, I wiped away my tears and stood up beside him. My cheeks were still had tear stained marks, but I didn't care. They were the evidence of what I've been through. Sure, Prince Calix would say, oh, the rebels are giving us a hard time in the palace. But had he ever thought of us? We were the ones in mortal danger. We were the ones exposed to any peril that the Southern rebels and the uprising could possibly give us, out here in the alleys.

We walked in the moonlight, down the narrow alley. The province office of Carolina was down by the longest alley in our province. Frans laced his fingers through mine. I smiled. I didn't like him, but it was nice to depend on someone for a a while, when most of the time I had to embrace the cruelty of being an Eight and stand tough.

"I know it's hard for you, Hestia," Frans said, breaking the silence.

"You're trying your best. I am happy to live like this as long as someone like you is in my life."

"That Calix, he is so full of himself. They are announcing the start of The Selection today," came the reply. He was obviously trying to change the subject.

"To me, he had always been the boring, rigid character I will ever find in my life. I know how Queen America always said that was what she thought of King Maxon before, but look how lovey-dovey they act now... And now they are trying to remove the castes... But the uprising from the people had gone so far that they had to restore the whole system and delay it. I think I am starting to hate Calix more than America hated Maxon." I knew it was wrong for me to blame Calix randomly, but seeing his face every Friday night was not exactly my treat after a hard week.

"Promise me, you won't enter The Selection of you had the chance."

I didn't reply.

"I can't live without you. I know I can never be able to provide for you, but your company is the best present I've ever received," he continued.

"Okay," I mumbled half-heartedly. I wasn't quite sure. He could seriously use the money. Judging by how he treated me for he last few years, he seriously deserves some credit.

The lampposts glinted in the night, as we edge nearer to the office. I pushed on the door silently, and realised how dark it was outside immediately. The room seemed so bright in contrast.

The national anthem played, as the screen flashed to the emblem of Illéa. Calix's face appeared on the screen, with the whole set and everything. Gravil walked onto the set.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen."

Ladies and gentlemen? More like Twos and Threes. For us Eights, it seemed like it was mocking when they gave us that title.

"So, Prince Calix, what do you have for us today?"

"You do realise that I am coming of age," he said without emotion.

"Yes, I am sure that all of Illéa is aware of that."

"Therefore, I will be calling to my very own selection. If you are a young lady aged between sixteen and nineteen, and wish to enter The Selection, please fill in the form and return it to your province office."

Then there was a bunch of announcement. I watched it in boredom, staring at Calix's face the whole time.

"We will sure be waiting for the good news when the Selected is announced! That's it for tonight, and be sure to come back next week to check on The Selection!"

Seriously? I was starving right now!

Frans lead me out through the glass doors. We passed by a dump, and since I was so hungry, we had to walk towards it and hope for luck that we find food.

But something else caught my eye. Despite all my disgust for Prince Calix, the compensations would do us some good. On top of a big pile of trash, was a form to The Selection, thrown out by some random Two who is already too pleased with herself.