Chapter 21

Brantley's POV:

Back and forth... Back and forth. I paced the small cell, my boots echoing on the concrete floor. No matter what I tried, I couldn't calm down. When the deputy pulled Lacey away from me, she was hysterical. She reached for me, crying and shaking her head no. Begging me not to leave. When she called out my name it nearly ripped my heart out. I was still furious. They better pray they can wrap this shit up quick, because so help me God, as soon as I make bail I'm going hunt that motherfucker down and put a bullet in his head. I thought back to when Lacey came running out of the dressing rooms.

"Brantley! Brantley!!! Where's Brantley?!" She screamed. She locked eyes with me a moment later and launched herself into my lap. Poor little thing was shaking like a leaf. Once she managed to tell me what happened I took off after him. Once I got my hands on Chase, my vision went red. The 4 deputies who pulled me off him struggled to hold me back. When I shrugged them off, one tased me. I barely noticed. Just roared and ripped the prongs out of my shoulder. When Lacey saw them hauling me off she panicked. So I sat and she was able to give her statement. "How could you be certain it wasn't Mr. Gilbert? You two are involved correct?" The deputy asked, taking a step back from me. He looked skittish. "Yes we are. And it's quite easy to tell the difference. Brantley's over 6ft tall, around 225-230lbs. Chase is more like 5'7" and 165 max. Brantley has huge hands. Big, calloused. Chase's are more like a woman's. Soft and slim. It just felt wrong." She told him and smuggled into me.

I growled into the cell as I focused on calming down. "Gilbert, step away from the door and put your hands behind your back. Time to go see the judge." An officer announced. I did as I was told for once, anxious to see Lacey and make sure she was ok. Once at the courthouse, and everyone was seated, I saw them bring Chase in. He was hardly recognizable, black and blue, swollen and limping. I smirked darkly and cracked my neck. After we were seated, they let everyone in. I saw Lacey come barreling down the aisle passed the bailiff. "BRANTLEY!" She yelled. Since my hands were cuffed in front of me, I brought her into my arms. "Good morning beautiful." I grinned. She sniffled and clung to me even tighter. The bailiff pulled her away and she began to panic again, especially when she saw chase. The judge made his appearance then. "Ms. James settle down! You are not to be around this man, he's a danger to those around him. He beat a man nearly to death, for no reason. Yet you defend him instead of Mr. Maxwell, you're boyfriend, the victim." He shook his head at her. I growled and went to take a step, but her words stopped me. "Excuse me? Let me explain something to you, your honor. With all due respect, you're clueless! Brantley isn't a danger to anyone. Chase Maxwell is NOT my boyfriend. He's my abusive ex-boyfriend who's spent the last few months harassing and stalking me. I have a restraining order against him. Brantley saved me from him, more than once. I was about to take a shower and Chase grabbed me, so I hit him and ran. Yes, Brantley fought with him. Not just because he felt like it. He did it to protect me. He once had to kick in a hotel room door Bc chase had me in a choke hold." She shoved the bailiff away from her and scrambled back to my side. "What's your excuse Gilbert? What do you have to say for yourself?" He judge asked him. "Nothing. I'm not going to make an excuse for anything. Yeah, I whooped him good. But he needs to learn you don't put your hands on what don't belong to you. Besides, he's fine. He should be glad I didn't kill him for putting his hands on Lacey. I'm not a man to be played with, Lacey went through the legal routes. She got a restraining order, she spoke with he police department, but nothing was ever done. Your deputies all brushed it aside like no big deal. That's when I stepped in. If you put me away, you' better not let me out until he's dead. That's a fact, sir." I growled. I was getting pissed off all over again. Lacey still refused to let me go. I held the judges stare, and he cracked a smile. "I like you Gilbert. I could use more men like you in this town." He chuckled and walked to his podium. Everyone sat and he spoke again. "Ive been reviewing this case closely. Mr. Maxwell, after reviewing your background, I'm not charging Mr. Gilbert with anything. You, however, are hereby being charged with assault and battery, harassment, violating a restraining order, embezzling, slander, attempted kidnapping, and I may think of a few others by the time you're sentenced. Dismissed!" He banged the gavel and I smirked, nodding at him. He nodded back and grinned. As soon as my cuffs were off, Lacey leapt at me excitedly. I caught her easily and kissed her. She moaned into my mouth and wiggled in even closer. The deputy who tased me brought my all my personal belongings. My rings, leather cuffs, hat, chains, my belt, my wallet and phone. He handed me my leather jacket but Lacey snatched it before I could. I raised an eyebrow at her as she wrapped herself up in it and sniffed it. She just grinned. "So where to darlin?" I asked her as we walked outside. "I need food. Then sex. Immediately." She said straight faced. She was dead serious. "Yes ma'am." I laughed and guided her towards the diner across the street. Before we stepped off the sidewalk, Gail barreled into me and hugged me tight. "Thank God! Are you ok?!" She asked. "I'm fine darlin." I chuckled. "They kept you all night!" "Ain't my first time spending a night." I laughed. She headed off and we continued to the diner. I grabbed my phone to call momma. "Hey angel," I said when she answered. I assured her that I was fine, and that Lacey was alright. Then hung up after promising to have Lacey call her tomorrow.