Chapter 7

Brantley's POV:
"Umm... Where's your... Oh wow... Uhh... Shirt?" Lacey stuttered when I walked out of the bathroom. I was in my jeans and boots, I just hadn't pulled my tshirt on yet. I smirked at her and raised my hand, showing her my shirt. "The steam was about to kill me, it's hot as hell in that little ass bathroom. I spread my arms out and I'm hittin a wall anyway I turn. Doll-sized." I grumbled. Lacey giggled and turned her head, trying hard to keep her eyes off my torso. I grinned to myself. Once I was dressed we headed out to grab a bite to eat. We took a cab there and were seated quickly. As busy as the place was, it's no wonder people started snapping pics left and right. We were seated in a small corner booth, and I had my arms stretched out along the back. Lacey just so happened to sit next to me, making it seem like we were a couple to the public. Pictures were being snapped left and right, and Lacey futilely tugged at her sleeve to hide the bruises from chase. I shrugged out of my leather jacket and wrapped her up in it, tugging her closer. "Come here darlin." I comforted her. She snuggled in close, her face buried in my chest. Lacey sniffed at my jacket and sighed. "That thing probably smells like gasoline and sweat, sorry." I chuckled. She shook her head no. "It's perfect." She purred and breathed in the worn leather again. I chuckled and looked down at her. "You wanna get out of here? We can order room service." I asked her. She nodded up at me happily. I kept her tucked in close to my side as we made it out of the restaurant, cameras flashing like crazy. When one photographer got too close for comfort I growled at him and shoved him away from Lacey, sending him sprawling back into the bushes outside.

Once we made it back to the hotel, Lacey flopped down onto the bed. "That was a disaster." She groaned. We ordered room service and we're waiting on it to arrive when her phone went off. "It's a Twitter alert." She explained and opened the app. "Oh my God..." She said hastily. I walked over. "What's wrong?" She handed me her phone. "This little shit here...." I growled. Chase managed to find one of the pictures from the restaurant. One where Lacey and I looked awful damn cozy actually. Lacey had her hand under my tshirt, rubbing my abs, and she was snuggled in close, smiling up at me all pretty and content. I had my hand tangled in her hair and was grinning down at her. Chase posted it on Twitter with the caption 'So you leave me for him? That's how it works huh? @theofficialLaceyJ @BrantleyGilbert' he spread it on his Facebook as well. All the fans were blowing up, trying to figure out if it were true. I grabbed my phone for damage control. 'I had no part in the breakup between Lacey and Chase. We're co-stars and friends, nothing more. Relax little boy, I'm not a home wrecker. @ChaseMoneyMaxwell @theofficialLaceyJ' I showed Lacey and she approved. So I posted it, Lacey retweeted it and we settled down to eat.

The next few days flew by, we started filming for the movie and as we were leaving the studio one day, a reporter caught us off guard. Again, at an inopportune moment. I was giving Lacey a piggy back ride, she was clinging to me, giggling and smiling wide. "Brantley! Lacey! Is it true that you two are dating?" He asked. "No man, we're just friends." I said and melt walking. He followed. "Chase Maxwell has gone on record, an entire expose actually. He released a tell-all to TMZ about how you stole Lacey from him." I stopped him then. We didn't respond, just hurried back to the hotel. Once there, I grabbed Lacey's phone and dialed his number. He answered quickly. "Yes Lacey?" He sounded like a snot nosed punk. "This ain't Lacey, boy. I tried to play nice. I really, really did. I'm telling you now, back off or she's going to the cops. She'll press charges. She's got the bruises to prove it." I growled dangerously. "What?! Press charges?! Over a simple miss understanding?! Let me tell you something you over grown, testosterone fueled caveman!" He continued to rant. I didn't respond, just hung up the phone. "You're getting a restraining order against him. First thing tomorrow morning." I told Lacey. She nodded without arguing and snuggled deeper into my jacket.