Chapter Twelve

I stood partially behind Zayn on the porch to his mother's house. Pink and gold balloons swayed on each side of the door, letting everyone know that this house was where the party was. Nervous butterflies flapped their wings and I took a subtle breath as to not show Zayn that I was nervous.

"You look nervous," Zayn said after knocking twice. "It's okay if you are. But there's nothing to worry about, okay? My mum will make sure you're as comfortable as possible."

The fact that Zayn assured me I was in good hands astonished me. I still couldn't get over how different he was. How kind he was.

Zayn reached over and gently squeezed my hand. The gesture took me by surprise but calmed me down nonetheless.

"You'll be fine," he assured me again.

On the other side of the door, laughter could be heard, and the sound brought a smile to my face. Zayn knocked again, just in time for his mother to open it and happily greet us.

"Oh, you're here!" She hugged Zayn tightly and he kissed her cheek.

I smiled and awkwardly waved when she noticed me. Rather than waving back, his mother wrapped me up in a kind hug. It was such a warm, firm embrace.

"Welcome," she said. "Taissa, right?"

"Yes, ma'am," I smiled.

"Tricia," she said. "Come in, please. Everyone's outside in the back, but if you're more comfortable inside, you're more than welcome to stay in."

I followed Zayn into the house. Muffled chatter from outside flowed through the house. The gifts we'd taken were handed to Tricia who took them outside.

Zayn lead me to the kitchen and asked, "Are you okay to go outside? Or would you like to stay in?"

Though my nerves were telling me to stay as far away from the crowd as possible, I knew it would be rude to not join and say hello.

"Let's go outside," I smiled. "I'd love to meet the birthday girl."

I was introduced to the rest of Zayn's family. His cousins, his aunts and uncles. Family friends, and his sisters. All three of them were beautiful, just like Tricia.

Doniya, the oldest of the girls, offered me a seat at the table she was at. Waliyha, the second, sat beside me and immediately asked if I was Zayn's girlfriend, to which I blushed and told her I wasn't.

"Who's birthday is it?" I asked.

"Hers," Waliyha said, pointing to me right.

"Mine," said the youngest, Safaa, waving and smiling.

"Happy birthday," I said. "You're officially a teenager, eh?"

Safaa said, "Yeah. Doesn't feel like it though."

For a while, I sat with Zayn's family outside and watched them dance and sing karaoke. We ate delicious food before cake was served and presents were opened.

After some time, Zayn took me to the kitchen where it was quieter. Tricia was there, preparing more side foods.

I had only seen her once and that was graduation. She, according to what Harry had told me in the past, said that I seemed lovely and that it was a shame Zayn and I could never get along.