I wanted to scream. I didn't want to serve the Solar System that way! I was the top in my class. I could have done something with that knowledge. I could have gone to college, but no. I have to be abused for months until I can go home, if I don't die.

"Come with me," the official said.

I followed through a door that lead to a room I never knew existed.

Inside, she pulled out a laptop.

"You have been picked to be part of the Nebula Program. Do you wish to know what it is?"

Of course I knew what it was. Everybody knew what it was. I would be sent out to space. I could be sent to the farthest reaches of the universe or I could be near Earth.

"No,"

"Do you have any requests for what planet or dwarf planet you will be stationed at? You may have three. Say them in order,"

"Earth, Mars, or Venus,"

I wanted to at least be near home. (At the time I lived on Earth).

She typed that into her laptop on closed it.

"You may pack some personal belongings. Food, water, and clothing will be provided. Meet back here in 12 hours. Thank you for joining the Nebula Program. You Solar System will be forever grateful,"

With that, she stood up and left.

By the time I came out of the room, the only people left were Mom, Oliver, and his parents. My mom had tears in her eyes. We walked home in silence.

When we got home, my sister came up to me. She just hugged me.

"Back in my day, this kind of thing was illegal," my great-grandma muttered.

Sophia looked up at me. "If you were picked, then I will probably get picked,"

"No, you won't. Grandma and Grandpa fought in the war. Mom was a medical officer. No I am going up to space. You have the lowest chance possible."

Even when I told her this, I was unsure about the system. I was pretty sure that bribery can be used to get your kid not picked. As our family did not have a ton of money, we could not bribe the government.

"What if Oliver gets picked next year? Or the year after that?" Sophia asked.

"He won't,"

"But if you were picked, then he might,"

"He won't," I reassured her.

I went into my room and shut the door. I found my bag. I only put two photos in. The two photos from my seventeenth birthday party. Well, if you could call it a party. Just my family and Oliver's. The other kids at school hated me. At least I could finally get away from them. Who knows? Maybe I would become a famous leader.

After packing my bag, I went to sleep.

***

As I was waking up, I looked at the time. One hour before I had to meet the government official. I went out to see my family before I went up to space.

"I don't want you to go!" Sophia said.

"I have to. Besides, I can call you."

"OK,"

I hugged her.

"It will be OK." I don't know who I was talking to. Her, or me.

There were tearful goodbyes before I left the house for good.

Oliver was at the door as I opened it.

"I just wanted to say goodbye. Will you call me?"

"Of course I will."

"Well then. Goodbye,"

"Goodbye,"

I hugged him.

I walked away, with my bag swung over my shoulder.

I met the government official, like she asked.

"Good. You are here. Follow me,"

I followed her.

"You will be sent to the Mars post, as you requested. You may call your family once a week. No more. Follow me to your spacecraft."

"As you have not had proper training on how to fly a spacecraft, someone has been assigned to drive you to your post. At your post, you will be trained."

"Put this over your clothes," she said.

She gave me a spacesuit. I put it over my clothes.

"Here we are. Thank you again for your willingness to serve,"

"I actually don't want to serve in this way, but I am being forced to,"

"I am sorry," she said.

I boarded the spacecraft and got one last good look at Earth's surface, before we were propelled into space.