Chapter 6 | Winter P.O.V.

He grabbed me by my jacket and snarled at me. I stared back, recognizing him instantly.

I worked for him.

At the black market, I sold whatever I could sell, no matter what the risk. This short-tempered man happened to be one of my most demanding clients, for black powder. I don't know what he used it for, or who he sold it to, but I sure didn't want to.

About a week ago, I had run short on my supply. I had to cancel his order, which I avoided telling him to not be in exactly this situation. I guess I couldn't have hid forever.

"Nice to see you again, Rambo" I said as calmly as I could. The last thing I wanted to do was to make him angry, I knew that if he wanted to, he could rip me to bits.

"It's been too long, really" he snarled at me. "I'd hate to think that you were avoiding me"

I noticed a large circle of people had congregated around us, and that Mike and Troy were watching helplessly from the sidelines. Not that I expected them to do anything. I could fight my own battles.

I kept my cool demeanor, not wanting to draw anymore attention than I already had. Keeping a steady voice, I replied. "I just haven't been around lately, is all..." I hoped that was convincing.

He scoffed, obviously not believing a word I said. I realized it was better to tell him the truth than keep lying.

"Listen," I continued. "Im a little short on what you ordered...You're going to have to wait a little bit until I can--"

It was then that his free hand collided with my jaw. My head was pushed sideways, so I was looking at the crowd that had formed. They jumped, startled by the sudden act of violence.

I turned back to him, trying to thrash my way free. I swung a punch at him, stepping back in the process.

My fist made contact with the side of his chest, and he coughed a few times. Then just as he was about to swing again, Mike came up behind him and jumped on his back. He was thrown off almost immediately, of course, but he tries. Mike swung a punch sending Rambo tumbling down.

I bolted, dragging Troy by the jacket and hoping that Mike was smart enough to follow suit. Surprisingly he
was. We ran through the crowd of people. I spotted a run-down looking house up the hill a bit, most likely abandoned.

I gestured for them to follow me.