'So you are getting close to me to get close to my Ma?' it was meant to be a joke but Brain took it way too seriously. 

'No, I want to part of a beautiful family.' His eyes held so much love for my Ma.  

'She does love you Brian, she is just scared. Don't worry she will yours in a short time.'

'Come down people. Food is ready.' I heard the call of Ma.  

'Come on Brain.' I smiled at him and he wrapped his shoulder around me. 

'Okay, so what was going in?' She was trying to be indifferent but anyone could see the genuine curiosity in her eyes. 

'Nothing, just father-daughter bonding.' I answered. Both of them were shocked at the answer.  

'Let's eat.' 

'Smells lovely Gina.' Thankfully he just kissed her on the cheek. 

Mom smiled a bit at that but she was still shocked. We all ate in silence and after that I went to my room. I knew Ma wanted to talk to Brian after my answer. 

It was late and I was almost going to sleep when Ma opened the door to my room. 'Can we talk?'  

'Sure Ma.' She sat on the bed while I was standing near it. 

'Do you mean what you said today?' 

'Of course, the guy loves you man. Even a blind man can see it.' Technically the blind cannot see but you know what I mean! 

I could see restlessness and insecurity in her eyes. 

I sat on the bed with her and held her hands in mine.  

'Mom it has been eighteen almost nineteen years, he is not going to come back and Brain is surely not going to leave you. He loves you and he always will. He doesn't care that you have an eighteen year old daughter. He cares about me and me about him. He will be a wonderful partner and will be with you in all the situations.' 

I didn't want to say this part but I had to in order to convince Ma. 

'Maybe I will have a real father this time.' I didn't like talking about that man but deep down I had always wondered what it would be like to have a father? A person who will be there for yo all the time.  

'Oh baby.' She hugged me. I could feel wetness on my shoulder. Now I felt bad, it wasn't her fault.  

'It's okay Ma. The asshole doesn't deserve your tears. 

She pulled back and hit me on the same shoulder she was crying on a few moments ago, 'Nev.'  

'Whatever, I'm gonna sleep. Goodnight sexy lady.' 

'Goodnight, my stupid daughter.' 

'Hey... I'm not stupid. I am the smartest girl you have ever come across.' 

She didn't reply, just shook her head and went to her room. 

*********************************************

The next day went smoothly and Xavier kept his mouth shut which was kinda a miracle.

At last, it was time for Chemistry, the time for the big announcement. We were all competing the notes when the teacher announced about the project in which I was to be paired with Easton in order to "improve" him.  

'Easton you are paired with Neveah for this project. I could practically hear the disappointment of the class. Why were they so sad? I should be the one who is sad. 

'That was bad,' the girl next to me said. She was the second best at studies.  

'Believe me, I know.' What have I gotten myself into?