Chapter 7

He opened the door to the deck outside and closed it quickly. Meanwhile, I wiped the frosting off of my face, grabbed the bowl, and headed outside. As soon as I stepped outside of the door, I felt a familiar pair of hands grab my waist. I was able to squirm out of his hold and, with one hand, took off his snapback and smeared icing into his hair. I let out a victorious “Ha!” before I let myself into the kitchen, where I sent my bowl down on the counter.

 “Hey, that wasn’t funny,” he said, trying to get the icing out of his hair with his hands.

“That’s what you get!” I said playfully, sticking my tongue out. “But yeah, I need to get this frosting off my face, I can still feel it,” I said, walking over to the kitchen sink.

“I know how we can solve this little problem,” he said slyly.

And with that, he grabbed me and carried me bridal style to the deck outside. No matter how loud I screamed, he wouldn’t let me go. Then, I spotted his outdoor pool. Gulp. Oh God. Jc stopped by the edge of his in ground pool and threw me in. I finally surfaced to the top and, when I did, I came face to face with Jc.

 “Hey, this is not what I meant!” I yelled at Jc, playfully pushing him in the water.

 I tried escaping the pool, but Jc pulled me back in by my legs. There wasn’t anything I could do now except enjoy these few moments with Jc. We splashed around in his pool for an hour or two, and then he finally let me leave. Running inside, he came back out with one big towel to cover up both of us. We sat out on his deck for a while, until I remembered that I haven’t seen my parents in a few hours. Oh God, they must’ve been worried sick! But to tell you the truth, I haven’t seen them at all since this morning. I exited the towel cocoon and walked back into Jc’s house and grabbed my phone off the counter. My phone read 1 New Message. It was from my mom.

Mom: Hey sweetie. Your father and I won’t be back until late tonight. Maybe not until tomorrow morning! We got caught up in work. Wouldn’t you think our first day at work would be easy? Oh well, have a good night!

While I was reading the text message, Jc crept up behind me and read it too.

 “Now you have an excuse to stay over my house tonight!” Jc yelled, throwing his hands in the air.

“I don’t think that’s such a great idea,” I said chuckling. “I better head home, it’s getting late.”

“Come on, please?” he asked, pouting his lower lip yet again and staring at me with his big brown eyes.

After some thought, I nodded my head. Jc started cheering and I just laughed. He let me go home for a minute to change into my pajamas. I changed into a tank top, sports bra, and shorts and walked back over to his house, where he opened the door wearing a white v-neck and pajama pants. He let me in and we sat on the couch together, when he suggested that we watch a horror movie together.

 “Jc, I can’t watch anything scary before I sleep,” I said. “I’m going to have nightmares.” I pouted my lip and batted my eyelashes so that maybe he would give in.

“Come on, watch it with me. Please? We can cuddle the whole time,” he said playfully.

 I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to cuddle with my crush, so he turned on the DVD and we cuddled close to each other. To me, the movie was very scary, so I took any opportunity that I had to bury my head in his chest while he rubbed my back.

 “Never. Again,” I said as Jc popped out the DVD once the movie was over.

“Come on, it wasn’t THAT scary,” he replied.

“It was to me,” I responded.

“It’s late, we should probably head upstairs.”

“We should,” I agreed.

 Grabbing my hand, Jc led me upstairs and showed me where I would be sleeping: the guest room.

 “If you need anything, I’m right across the hall, ok?” he assured me.

 I nodded my head in response and flopped myself onto the guest bed. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I fell asleep.

Suddenly, I woke up, startled. I looked over at the glowing red numbers of the alarm clock beside me: 3:15 AM. Great. I knew this was going to happen. I tried falling back asleep again, but I couldn’t. All I could think of was the scary movie. In an instant, I jumped up out of my bed and crept across the hall to Jc’s room. I carefully opened the door and stepped inside. I tried my best to feel around the room to see if I could find his bed. After a minute of searching, I found Jc asleep on his bed. I walked over to him, grabbed his shoulder, and gently shook him awake.

“Jc. Jc, babe. I can’t sleep,” I said.

He stirred in his sleep, but then finally managed to wake up and sit up facing me.

“Come here,” he said sleepily.

He scooted over a little bit to the other side of the bed. He grabbed me by the waist and pulled me into him on the bed, spooning me.

“Thanks, Jc. Good night,” I said closing my eyes.

“Goodnight,” he replied, leaving a kiss on the back of my neck.

Soon after, we fell asleep in each other’s arms.