Chapter Sixteen

Liam.

It was February 1st. Freezing everyday. Brett and I have grown closer as the days have got by. And today is the day that I tell my mom about Brett.

"It'll be fine. And if it's not, then you can come live with Satomi and I. My dad's never around, anyways," Brett said.

I shook my head.
"My mom won't just let me leave. She'll keep me here, and away from you."

Brett frowned.
"Alright, c'mon, let's not focus on the negative. I'm sure your mom will be fine with it."

I nodded.

"Maybe you will. People can surprise you, right?" I asked, hopeful.

Brett smiled.
"Yeah, they can," he said.

I got into Brett's car. He was driving us to my house. It was a Sunday. My mom wouldn't be doing anything special. What better a time to tell her that I'm gay?

We listened to the radio as we drove. His right hand on my knee, squeezing slightly; this was his way of assuring me everything would be alright.

We pulled up to my house. I sighed. I was definitely nervous now, if not before.

"Liam, listen to me, okay? This is all going to work out," Brett said. I nodded weakly, opening my door. Brett got out also.

I opened the front door to my house. It smelt like my mom was cooking something.

"Liam? Is that you?" She called out.
I shut the door behind me.

"Yeah Mom, it's Brett and I," I replied, walking into the kitchen. Brett behind me.

"Hello, Brett. Do you two want any food? I just made chicken noodle soup," she smiled.

"Uh, yeah sure. Is that okay?" I turned to ask Brett. He nodded. We both sat down at the table.

After a few minutes, we had bowls in front of us.

I exchanged glances at Brett. He nodded ever so slightly.

"Hey Mom, could you sit down for a second?" I asked. She frowned.

"Is everything alright Liam? You look like you've seen a ghost," she said.

I nodded.
"I just really have to tell you something. Just- just sit down Mom," I said, fumbling on my words.

She sat down slowly.

"Alright, now I'm really worried," she said, laughing,

We both let out a weak laugh.

"Okay, what is it?" My mom asked.

"You see, Brett and I.." I began, looking down at my folded hands. "We've been uh.. dating for a few months now."

Her face dropped.

"You have?" She asked.

Oh no. This is the part where I get kicked out, having to go to Brett for help because my mother doesn't want anything to do with my anymore.

I nodded.

"Damnit," she mumbled.

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"I own Abby another trip to the mall," Mom said.

I was officially lost.

"What now?" I asked.

She laughed.
"Oh, it's a silly thing. She suspected it, I didn't believe a word she said. We both bet on it. I just thought you two were really good friends. But then how did Abby even know in the first place?"

My mouth dropped.
I looked at Brett.

"So, you're not mad?" I asked.

She shook her head.
"Why would I be mad?

"We just weren't sure how you'd take it, that's all," Brett chimed in.

She nodded.

"Well, I guess I gotta go tell Abby she's got a mall trip coming up," she sighed, getting up from her chair.

I rubbed my head.
Gosh this is confusing.

She turned to face us.
"Don't have sex when I'm home, please," she said, putting her fingers to her temples.

Brett and I's face turn red.

A/N : as 'big' of a chapter this was I hated it.
But now Liam's mom knows and things can be a little less secret-ish for them.
Idk.