Chapter 1 - Revenge

Chapter 1 - Revenge

Quote of the day: Revenge can't solve anything. It only leads to more grief.

Meaning: Revenge isn't the solution to anything. Being blinded by rage can cause pain for others, who may be innocent.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

Edited (5/2/16)

Anger - it is a negative feeling. It can consume one totally, blinding decisions and actions. Furthermore, it can lead to uncontrollable intentions and desires, like harming someone.

Absol glanced at the village below the mountain she lived on. Anger stabbed at her heart. The very same village where the people killed my father and mother, she thought.

She had trained by herself for two years ever since she witnessed the very murder of her mother and father - her father was already dead when she got to the scene.

Vengeance was the only thing on her mind, fueling her will to train in harsh conditions everyday. Soon, all her cowardly fears were no more than a distant memory.

She was no longer a young, scared Absol two years ago, but an emotionless and powerful Pokémon.

Absol narrowed her eyes. Her horn picked up danger, making her smile evilly. "It's time."

Absol sat, eyes keen. The flood will come soon, she thought. She was eager for the flood to arrive, so that it would sweep the houses away. Revenge will be sweet. They will have a taste of how I felt when everything was stolen from me.

She turned to a rock that was blocking a stream of high speed currents from reaching the village below and destroying it.

"Finally, retribution will be upon them," Absol said to herself, eyes glowing in anticipation.

Her hatred for humans burned strongly within her heart. The rock gave a jerk and stilled, seemingly sturdy to most eyes - but Absol knew better. The rock collapsed, giving way to the powerful stream.

Fast-flowing water gushed out, sneaking onto the unsuspecting village. Absol heard the satisfying screams and shouts of the humans below, trying to save themselves.

"This is how you should live - without the guidance of an Absol. You will learn to realise that Absol are not the ones who caused disasters. You will learn to suffer like we did," Absol said - to no one in particular.

"Is this your true nature?" a voice asked behind Absol.

"Who's there?" Absol spun around swiftly to face the speaker, fur bristling in anger. "How dare you sneak up on me?"

"I am an Absol, like you. My name is Red," the speaker took a few tentative steps towards Absol.

"You're not like the rest of us... you're of a different colour," Absol noted, eyes narrowing suspiciously.

"I am no different than an ordinary Absol. I am merely born of a different colour - red," Red stated matter-of-factly.

"The humans brought this upon themselves," Absol said, turning to watch the village drown in the merciless flood - very similar to what she is feeling at the moment.

"I know we have been hunted down for crimes we did not commit," Red began. "But you are no better than them if you leave them there to die. There are innocent lives out there, Absol. Is revenge what you really want?"

Absol stared at her claws emotionlessly. "The humans from that village killed my parents two years ago on this very mountain," she said. "Revenge is the only option I will choose."

Remember this, Absol. Never harm innocent lives, even if their kind harmed us, her mother's words echoed in her head for the first time in two years, making her shift uneasily.

"You have to understand the responsibility of Absol. We may be misunderstood, but we can change that. My parents shared the same fate as yours, but I believe in doing what they want me to do," Red told Absol, sitting down to stare at the flood.

"Is harming innocent lives what you want?" he asked again. Absol continued staring at her claws, deep in thought.

They act in fear - which leads to blaming. They needed to push the blame to someone else, so that they wouldn't feel overwhelmed. The blame happened to fall on us, the Absol, her mother's voice echoed in her mind.

Absol remembered the time when she suggested to stop helping humans to protect themselves.

Her mother had rejected the idea harshly, but gently explained to her that some humans are innocent and would never harm them unless they have a reason to believe that they are harming them.

They are innocent creatures, just like us. They may not deserve our help, but they deserve a chance to live with their families in peace, her mother had told her.

Absol tensed and quivered. She had been nothing but selfish. She only thought of herself, and not of others.

"What have I done?" she whispered to herself.

"Do you understand now?" Red asked, standing up.

"I do," Absol nodded solemnly. "And I promise to help the humans understand our true intentions, no matter what. I have to follow my parents' legacy."

"Very well. I will help you," Red nodded in approval, straightening himself.

"However," Absol began. "That does not mean I've forgiven their insolent behaviour."