Chapter 12: A Big Surprise

Start from the beginning

"Why weren't you watching the movie?" he asks. Aiden glances at me briefly before turning his attention back to the TV.

"I just couldn't focus on it I guess. I've had some things on my mind." I don't want to worry him with what's going on with me when he's going through things a lot worse than I could ever imagine. A little sickness is nothing compared to not knowing where your mate is.

"What's been going on in that head of yours?" I look at him skeptically. I don't want to dump my problems on him when he's finally coming around me again. I sigh and pull my bottom lip between my teeth as I look towards the TV. "Come on, Alaina. It'll help me keep my mind off... other things."

"She's been sick for some reason," Aiden pipes in, his eyes still on the TV. I shoot him a glare as Brandon glances at him before looking back at me.

"Fine, I've been feeling awful lately," I shrug like it's not a big deal. I don't want to think about it too much when there are more important things to worry about than me not being able to keep food down and exhaustion.

Brandon studies me without saying anything for several minutes. I hear him inhale louder than normal, almost as if he's taking in my scent for some reason. I furr my eyebrows at him as I wait for him to explain. "Are you always sick, or is it mainly when you smell something?"

"Uh, well I feel fine for the most part, I guess. It's mainly when I try to eat anything lately, but I've been having some random nausea here and there. I haven't been able to keep a lot of food down. I've been tired a lot more lately, but I figured that's what happens when I'm not really allowed out of the house much." I sit up on the couch and look at him. "What are you getting at Brandon?" It sounds like he may know what's going on with me.

"Well, honestly it sounds a lot like symptoms of pregnancy. Wolves don't really get sick unless there is something big changing in their bodies. A growing child is a big change," he speaks casually. My breathing hitches in my throat as my eyes widen. Aiden's head jerks around as his eyes lock on me.

Pregnancy symptoms?

I'm not pregnant. Mason and I decided we were going to wait to start our family. We didn't want to have to worry about pups until we were sure that Dylan and Robert were no longer a threat. I start thinking back to every time I threw up, and Brandon's right. It was normally when I smelt something bad or after eating something. I throw my legs off the couch and lean forward as I count back to the last time I had my period, but stop when I realize that I can't even remember the last time I had one. Maybe two months ago. I think. I remember I had just finished before I was attacked by those Rogues. And Mason and I have mated, many times, since then and I haven't had one since.

Oh no...

"Brandon, Aiden, can one of you do me a favor?" They both nod their head and wait for me to continue. I close my eyes as I try to steady my breathing. "I need you to run to the store and..." I stop and sigh. "God, I don't feel right sending you, so never mind. I'll go get it myself." I shake my head and stand up from the couch to fetch my shoes.

"The Alpha isn't going to like that," Aiden calls after me as he and Brandon both follow out of the room. I roll my eyes at the two of them and grab my shoes by the door. If the test I'm going to get turns out to be positive, then I'm pretty sure I can get myself and them out of trouble for leaving the house. My stomach is in knots and for the first time in a while the nausea I'm feeling doesn't seem random.

"It'll be fine as long as you two come along and stay close. We won't be long, just a quick trip there and back. Now, please hurry up. My stomach is in knots and I need to hurry up and get this test so I can find out for sure or not." Brandon presses his lips together, no doubt sensing my panic.