|Happily Ever After|

I woke up from a long nights sleep.

I was dazed and looked around for Maya.

She wasn't there, so I thought she went back inside. I got up, went inside to go look for her. In the kitchen my mom was making blueberry pancakes for breakfast. "Mom, where's Maya?" My mom glanced up at me with her ocean blue eyes that seemed to glow in the dark. I wish I had those eyes, I was just stuck with my fathers green eyes, but I still catch a few compliments. "She said she was sick and went to the park. Does she need me to call her mama?" "No, it's ok. I think she's just home sick, that's all." I grabbed my jacket from the hanging hook and went to the park to find Maya and work things out. But before I left mother stopped me. "Oh and Lucas honey, Maya told me to tell you that she was sorry. What did you guys do this time?"

I furrowed my eyebrows and decided not to answer. Now I really have to find Maya.

It was early in the morning, and in Texas, mornings are useally cold and harsh. So I was surprised when I found Maya on a bench beside the kiddie playground. "Maya?" I said standing behind her. She glanced back, her eyes swelling up with tears. Her eyes looked like green ice when wet. I leaped over the bench and sat beside her, close enough to share air. "What's wrong with you? Why'd you leave?" I asked, trying not to bring up the whole kiss thing. She just shrugged and wiped away tears with her jacket sleeve. After a while of awkwardness and silence, she finally spoke up.

"I like you, Lucas."

I was startled, because before the kiss, I just thought she never thought of me as more than a friend.

"I like you to, Maya."

"No, Huckleberry. I mean I like you as something else."

"You mean as something more than a friend?" I said, giving her a mischievous smirk. She quickly smiled, which as fast as it came, left within seconds. "But we're Huckleberry and Pancakes. We're not Huckleberry and Pancakes. Two different things, two different meanings.

"But what if I like you in both situations? What if I more than like you, Hart?" That's when she lost it. Tears streamed down her eyes, and she talked a mile a minute, failing her arms in the process. "This is not supposed to happen! Your not supposed to fall in love with a short stack of pancakes. It's not how fairy tales go. I want my happy ever after. Just once in my life, I want-"

Before I let her finish, I grabbed her wrists, pulling them to my side. I leaned in close to her face and lingered there for what seemed like forever. "I want to be you happy ever after. I will be your happy ever after. I promise you that." "One kiss won't do anything Lucas." "Who said anything about one kiss?"

That's when I leaned in and pressed my lips againest hers. This time, it was long and passionate. I cupped her cheeks and she ran her fingers through my hair. I never felt anything like this before.

My number one priority is to get Maya that happily ever after.

That, or live with the pain of a bad ending.

<>