First Winter Alternate Ending Part 1

Start from the beginning

At those words, Cress panicked. "Captain, is that--"

"It's me, Cress," said the guard.

"Why would you do such a thing? We're your friends!"

Even though Thorne wasn't blind, he didn't understand what the hell was happening.

"I don't understand," he muttered. Being an Earthen, he couldn't see or hear through glamor. Only Cress had that ability because she was a shell. He sensed she knew something was wrong. The guard standing in front of them intimidated Cress more than the others did.

"Why?" wailed Cress again.

"Levana is dead," murmured the guard. "The true ruler of Luna must reclaim the throne."

"I can't figure out why you have to murder us, but okay," said the captain.

"You two are no longer of use," responded the voice. "You should have considered the options when I spoke of revolution."

Something inside Thorne's mind clicked. The immediate thought horrified him enough to make him sick.

"Thorne," whispered Cress, "Run. Now. I don't care if you have to leave me. Just--"

The captain jumped up to tackle the mysterious guard. Before he ran, the figure in the corner took a gun and fired. Cress heard the awful-sounding thump of Thorne's body against the hard stone floor. Her screams became agonizing, deafening shrieks as she stumbled over his chest. His warm, sticky blood stained her pale blue dress and porcelain skin.

---

"Hey, crazy," coughed Scarlet.

"Scarlet-friend," murmured Winter, "I'm sorry. It's my fault. I shouldn't have wandered. I shouldn't have accepted that gift from that evil witch."

The bruises on Scarlet's face became more pronounced. Her eye worsened as the disease progressed. Winter's long, slender fingers tinged with blue traced the large, reddened patch above Scarlet's eye. "We're both going to die now, aren't we?"

"Don't say that, Princess," she said, her voice just under a whisper. "We'll cure this disease."

Winter sighed. Despite being covered in dirt and grime, Scarlet's hair still resembled shining, blazing fire. It wasn't the frightening kind that 'killed' Selene; it comforted her.

What happened to Jacin? Jacin, her one true Prince Charming, had vanished at the time she needed him most. She had hoped that he would burst in with the antidote and save everyone. Selene would overthrow Levana and be crowned. Oh, but this foolish scenario would only occur in her head, as Scarlet and Jacin would say. Scarlet was giving her false hope. Their bodies were failing. Winter became too weak to move.

"We can find the antidote, Winter. Cinder will come for us." They had faith in Cinder, she had locked them in an underground place for safe keeping.

She coughed and coughed until tiny flecks of blood stained her gauzy, white dress. Winter grasped Scarlet's hand. "This is in my head, isn't it? I won't die of letumosis; I'll just wake up in my bedroom, safe as always."

A tear slipped out her eye, streaking the dirt on her face. "Yes, Winter. Yes," she said, kissing her forehead. She followed with a series of reassuring thoughts she wished were true. "Hush now, Princess. Everything will return to normal when you wake. Selene will be queen and everyone will be okay. You'll find your Prince Charming. Levana will be dead."

"Thank you Scarlet. You're always here for me."

"Winter?"

"Hmmm?"

"Who gave you that gift?"

"Levana gave it to me. I'm sure of it. I assume..."

Winter closed her eyes and singed. Scarlet joined her. They howled and howled in such a way it sounded melodic. The two girls howled until their voices became hoarse. Scarlet thought she'd drive herself mad. After a while, she stopped to catch her breath. Winter was not singing.

"Princess," she choked. "Wake up, please," Scarlet said, jerking Winter's still body back and forth. "Don't leave me." It was no use. The Princess of Luna, ever so alluring and fair, had died. Although red rashes and bruises covered her face, she still looked breathtaking. Scarlet became enraged at the fact that Levana wanted to kill someone so innocent. She wanted to make her pay for what she had done. A strange burst of adrenaline surged through her. Scarlet reached forward and pushed with all the strength she had. A small opening came forth in the ceiling above. She pulled herself up and ran.

---
Before I go, I just wanted to say thank you thank you THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS THEY HELP ME SO MUCH AND I'M SO HAPPY THAT YOU GUYS ACTUALLY ENJOY MY WRITING