Chapter 12, RUNAWAY

Chapter 12

Laura shifted on her side, nestled in a cocoon of pillows, one behind her back and one in front of her, where she rested her knee and cuddled the goose down into her swollen belly. She stared at the shadows of the late-day sun streaming in the window across the wall by Andy's side of the bed. She remembered, all too well, his touch, which had seemed so real to her. But it couldn't have been, after all they'd been through. If she wasn't pregnant with his babies, would he still be caring for her with this tenderness, which almost fooled her into believing he really cared about her? Did he have feelings for her? She wanted to believe she had found a way into his heart, but there were still things that unsettled her.

Dr. Richardson had been by earlier, and she was pleased with how Laura was doing. Her blood pressure was still high, and the doctor ordered her to stay in bed. Andy had given her a new cell phone and left it beside the bed so that she could call him or Jules whenever she needed something. It wasn't as if she could call out to anyone in a house this size, but she hated having anyone wait on her hand and foot.

Laura was thirsty, so she slid out of bed and searched Andy's closet for something to put on over her nightgown. She grabbed his black robe, slipped it on, and went down the stairs barefoot, holding the rail. The house was unusually quiet as she walked softly across the black and white tiled grand foyer toward the kitchen. She heard voices, a man's and Caroline's distinct clip coming from her dayroom.

"I want to make sure there is no problem getting those babies."

Laura felt her breath go out of her as if someone had rammed a fist into her gut. She pressed her hand to her swollen belly and stepped back against the wall on the other side of the grandfather clock. Who was Caroline talking to? She could hear a male voice but couldn't make it out. Was it Andy? Was he plotting with his mother to have her babies taken away?

"Look, you are the best attorney for these matters. I want to be sure that as soon as she has the babies, they'll be taken from her. No chance for her to see them. I want her gone, whatever you need to do to make it happen."

Panic came out of nowhere, and an ache ripped through her chest at the fear of having her children, her babies, taken from her. She knew she'd never survive that again. She gazed longingly at the front door from where she stood, which was maybe thirty feet away. How quickly could she get to it and start running?

Gabriel. Oh, shit. Where was he? She needed to find him, to leave and get as far away from Andy as she could.

Footsteps echoed on the tiled floor. There was not much she could do, so she stepped out behind the clock to where Caroline and a tall man dressed in a very expensive, dark suit, with glasses and short, reddish hair, stared at her. Caroline's mouth twisted as if she was disgusted with Laura.

The man with her cleared his throat. "Caroline, I'll speak with you tomorrow," he said, then stepped around Laura and left.

Caroline swept her icy gaze over Laura. Any two-year-old with a lick of common sense could pick up her meaning and what she thought of Laura. She hated her, and that worried Laura.

"Is Andy here?" Laura asked Caroline just as she turned her back and started toward her fancy dayroom. It had a glass desk and gleaming white and peach furnishings, a room Laura avoided mostly because of all the pristine white-she was afraid of leaving a mark anywhere.

Caroline was wearing a dusty blue Chanel suit that hugged her every curve. She stopped but didn't turn around as she said, "No, but I expect him shortly." Then she walked away.