Chapter 14 -- A New Start for Aunt Mary

Start from the beginning

“Allow me,” offered Ike, holding out his hand towards a totally flustered Aunt Mary.  “Though, by rights, I should refuse to do anything to cover up the trimmest pair of ankles I have seen in a very long time.”

“Oh.  Oh, y-you!” huffed Aunt Mary, taking Ike’s hand.  It would just be too awkward to try to rise with him watching, otherwise.  As if she weighed no more than a feather, Ike lifted Aunt Mary up onto her feet, in one deft motion.  Their eyes met for one breathless moment.  Then they recollected themselves.

“Of all the impudence, Mr. Jorgenson!”  Aunt Mary set in to scold Ike to cover her flustered reaction to his nearness.  Hastily she pulled on her bonnet.

“Don’t be mad, Mrs. McGregor,” Ike cajoled, grinning his ‘Big Ike’ grin as he reached over and plucked a long grass stem sticking out from under her bonnet.  “You’re a beautiful woman in a town where that is a rare sight.  Men will look.   I admit to being the foremost of them.  May I offer you my arm for the walk back?”   Ike could put on the charm when he wanted to.  And, he wanted to now.  He had big plans for Mary McGregor.

“I went to the hotel to offer to escort you to breakfast.  When Mr. Ronackec told me you had taken your dog for a walk, I figured you had headed out here.  I would still be pleased to escort you to breakfast, Ma’am.”

Aunt Mary sniffed, but found herself slipping her hand into the crook of his arm. 

“I would be much obliged, Mr. Jorgenson.  Come, Shadow,” she said, picking up Shadow’s leash from the grass. “It’s time to go back to town.”

They walked peacefully for a few minutes, both content to walk noiselessly side by side.  To Aunt Mary, it was a strange sensation, to be walking arm in arm with Ike Jorgenson.  It was the first time she had been escorted anywhere since Riley's tragic death.  She found Ike Jorgenson’s company not at all unpleasant.

“Are you planning to move out to Woody’s homestead?” 

“Only as a last resort.”

“Why?”

“Would you want to move in with a pair of newly-weds, Mr. Jorgenson?”

“Only as a last resort,” answered Ike with a straight face, looking out over the prairie to keep from looking at Aunt Mary.  After a silent minute went by, he finally glanced at her out of the corner of his eye, and caught her looking up at him.  They both burst out laughing at the same time.

“Do you have any idea how you’re going to take care of yourself if you stay here in Yankton?”

“I’ll look for work, of course.”

Aunt Mary had been thinking seriously about her immediate future while she was walking out there on the prairie.  She had several talents she could put to good use finding a job here in Yankton.  It was a rough town, to be sure, she thought to herself.  The scarcity of women surprised her, but would make her job hunting actually easier.  Men seldom had time or inclination to launder their clothes.  She was an experienced Laundress.  They were always hungry, too.  What would they give for a good, home-made meal?   She was not ashamed of her cooking.  It was said back in Piney Creek that her rolls were the lightest in three counties. 

“What kind of work are you looking for?”

So, she shared her thoughts with him, and her reasoning on the subject.  That took them back into town by way of the narrow street that he called an alley.  They stopped in front of The Yankton Hotel, where she was staying.  Not a very imaginative name, Aunt Mary thought, while she stood there waiting to see if Ike Jorgenson was serious about taking her to breakfast.  He was.

“Why don’t I wait out here while you take the dog up to your room, then we can go to breakfast?”

Aunt Mary stifled a little sigh of relief.  Breakfast would be one less meal she would have to pay for from her dwindling store of cash.  

“I will only be a minute.  It is so gracious of you to wait for me.”  Without further ado, she and the dog vanished through the hotel doorway. 

            ***

“You want me to what?” Aunt Mary stared incredulously at the big Swede sitting across the table from her.   “I’m not sure I can do that.  I’ve never managed anything before in my life.”

“You have to admit,” Ike leaned over the table, bringing his nose entirely too close to hers.  He put his hand up to shield his words from listening ears, and whispered:  “This town definitely could use a better eating establishment.”  His blue eyes sparkled like sunlight on water as he watched a range of emotions flicker across her features. 

“True,” she agreed, leaning back in her seat to get away from Ike’s nearness.  “But….”

“No buts,”  Ike grinned, leaning back himself.  Ike considered himself a shrewd businessman, so he recognized the signs that Mary McGregor had not dared admit to feeling yet.  She wanted this.  She wanted it bad.  Wisely, Ike took a last drink of his coffee and left his offer hanging between them as he set his cup down in his empty plate and signaled for the bill.

Aunt Mary flinched when they came out of the café onto the sunny boardwalk.  She couldn’t believe how much time had passed while they sat leisurely eating breakfast.  It must be close to noon, she thought, as they started walking slowly back to the hotel, where Ike paused.

“You have been the most enjoyable company I have had in many a day, Mrs. McGregor.  I hope you have a pleasant day.”  He waited for her to drop her hand from his arm, then tipping his hat, he began walking on down the boardwalk.  He walked slowly, however, hoping the seed he had planted had taken root.  It had.

“Wait, Mr. Jorgenson,” Aunt Mary called out.  He turned around as if surprised, trying to smother a grin.  She lifted her arm to wave to him, causing her reticule to wobble crazily.  He stood where he stopped, waiting for her to catch up to him.   He admired the gentle sway of her skirts as she walked towards him.  Jumping Jehoshaphat, he whistled too softly for her to hear.  What a woman!  Then she stopped in front of him, and he looked down at her.  She greener eyes even, than her niece, Rose, though they were a different shade of green entirely from her niece’s.  How many different shades of green were there, he wondered.

“Where would you think about setting up a restaurant, Mr. Jorgenson?”

“Come,”  Ike grinned, once more holding out his arm for her.   “Let me show you.”

The two of them set off down the boardwalk towards the other end of main street.