08 | truth or dare

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. A bit late, aren't I?" I breathed out, tying to speak over the music.

Harry's lips moved and I squinted my eyes, clearing my ears, but the music was too loud.

"Sorry, what was that?"

The boy ever so casually leaned way closer that his head was literally next to mine and if I had moved less than an inch, my cheek would've rested on his.

My breathing stopped and I swallowed hard, pretending to act casual as he was, ignoring the fact that he smelt of mint and something sweet, ignoring the fact that this was the closest I've been to a boy my whole entire life, my age or not.

"I asked if Kate was with you?" He asked, his voice clearer now that he's so close I could feel his warm breath tickling just above the collar of my hoodie when he speaks. He pulls away and looks questioningly at me but I hesitate on doing his previous move, so I just nodded and spoke loudly.

"Yeah, but I think I lost her," I was sure my neck veins were visible when Harry was holding himself from laughing. But he nodded, looking around.

"Let's look for her," he shouted over the music and I sighed in relief that he chose that option instead of leaning forward and risking the loss of my heart right there.

So look for her we started, pushing through intoxicated fellows -in which some looked familiar from the school halls when I had put my head down during these days. Feeling small, I kept my eyes in front of me with Harry following me; after all, he didn't really know what Kate looked like.

"Are you sure she even came?" Harry laughed from behind me and I shivered, from both: the distance he kept behind me, and feeling like a complete idiot for losing Kate in here.

"It's just so crowdy in here, she's-" I stopped mid-sentence when I had glimpsed the back of her black beanie and her well-recognised curly hair. I grinned, having found her finally. Looking at Harry to announce my victory, he raised his eyebrows in question when I pointed at her location, not too far away from where I was standing. "She's right there!"

Walking there, I had acknowledged two guys and three other girls sitting on and around the brown couch in one living area, laughing and chatting. For some reason, I've felt annoyed at myself for the fact that I didn't have the fitting-in-like-a-boss trait that Kate had, but I'm sure she felt good having fun, really.

"Harry, my man!" One of his friends had waved at him as he saw us walking in their direction, grabbing everyone else's attention to be on us, including Kate's.

"Lu!" My bubbly friend cheered and practically jumped up and down in glee as she hurried over to me, engulfing me in a hug.

Pulling away, she grinned and dragged me to sit beside her on a nearby recliner bt the couch where Harry took a seat on one of the armrests beside one of the girls. She wiggled her eyebrows playfully at her friend beside her and giggled, leaning into Harry a little.

"Where have you been?" I scowled at Kate, turning my attention to her as the boys chatted and the girls giggled. "You left me there, you traitor."

Kate gasped. "No, I did not, Slow Feet! You should thank me, though; you got to Harry. Alone." She taunted, her voice a little too loud for my liking. I quickly glanced around for Harry's attention but he seemed to be intently listening to some football match news a guy was blabbering about.

"Kate," I hissed with wide eyes. "Please keep your voice down, I've embarrassed myself enough tonight."

"Fine, fine," she rolled her eyes but nudged me as if to tell me to let it go.