19: Thanks, But...

Start from the beginning

"This is the only year for us to think about it. Before you know it, we'll have to declare a major, then we'll be so busy we might not even see each other."

"Alright, lady, that last part is crazy talk."

"I know, it just makes my story more convincing."

I smile, knowing that she was just being her normal, overly dramatic self. "Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather not meet any of the male suitors you decided weren't bangable enough for you."

"Just because I didn't want them doesn't mean they aren't hot, if that's what you're thinking-"

"Really isn't what I was thinking about."

"Because there is no need to worry, they're all very hot. I don't give my number to ugly people, we'll just pick one and see if his personality meshes with yours."

I sighed, "... Actually, I don't, uh, that's not a good idea."

"Why not?"

A pause, "Because, I kinda lied. I do have something on the love forefront - someone... and he gets a little jealous."

Mackenzie nodded like she was processing that for a second, before letting out an ear piercing shriek and tackling me into a hug.

"Oh my gosh, finally!" she stuck a triumphant fist in the air. "Well... tell me," she rushed to get into a comfortable position.

She was going to make me tell her everything.

"What's he like? How long has this been going on?" I opened my mouth as she gasped, "No, wait, start with his name; I don't know his name!"

I rolled my eyes halfheartedly, but felt a smile tug at the end of my lips at the thought of my... I don't know - he wasn't quite a boyfriend just yet.

"His name is Tyler..."

I took a bite of the food, and thanked Mackenzie, again, for bringing the processed crap with her once she came back from getting her overnight bag from her place.

"No problem, Stace, the store wasn't too far off course."

I held up a spoon so that she could eat some of the food she bought. She shook her head and I shrugged before putting it down, getting back the taco in my hand.

"You don't understand. Ty cooks and he goes exclusively by the book; he makes sure I only eat the most annoying healthy food from this, like, pregnancy cookbook- it's crazy, I'm going to strangle him. I mean, I can't eat cake batter- which you shouldn't do anyways, but no one cares- I can't have coffee, not even decafe just to be safe. He doesn't cook fish, he tries to avoid cooking with eggs- again, it's crazy." I ended my rant and looked up from my taco, she just sat there with an amused look on her face. "What?"

"Ty?" she cocked her to the side. I shook my head internally. Only Kenzie would read into something as minuscule as a nickname; she's my best friend.

"Tyler, yeah."

"You said Ty," it wasn't a question.

"Did I?" I feigned innocence, taking another bite. "My mistake."

"What's- uh, what's going on there? Between you two."

"Um, nothing really."

"Really, because I thought I noticed a little PDA action after the shower."