Chapter 6

Laura set the table, nervously getting ready for Brandon to arrive. It was almost time. 

Just then, the door bell rang. "I'll get it!" Laura shouted, hurrying to the door. She smoothed down her flimsy turquoise dress and patted down her hair. She opened the door and smiled. 

Brandon was smiling at her. "Hi, Laura." 

"Come in," she says. Brandon was about to hug her when she turned away. He receded, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck. 

Laura's mom and dad entered the kitchen. Laura noticed her mom giving Brandon a death stare. God, dang it. 

Brandon awkwardly waved. "Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Marano. I'm Brandon." 

Mrs. Marano narrowed her eyes at him and crossed her arms. "We know. Let me get the pasta." She says, stubbornly leaving the room and entering the kitchen. 

"Vanessa!" Laura's dad calls. "We have a guest. Come down!" 

Vanessa comes down and she takes a seat at the table. "Who are you?" She asks Brandon. 

Brandon takes a seat at the table and then Laura sits down. Mr. Marano goes into the kitchen. "I'm Brandon. Laura's prom date." 

Vanessa gives Laura a 'what!?' look. Laura looks down. Then, Vanessa turns back to Brandon. "So, do you like music?" 

Brandon narrows his eyes at the question. "Um, sure... I guess, it's okay." 

Vanessa looks at Laura wide-eyed. Laura gives her 'A' look. Then, their mom and dad come into the dining room carrying the pasta. They set it on the table and sit down. 

After they serve out the pasta and drinks, they begin talking. 

"Laura has told me a lot about you, Vanessa." Brandon says. "What are you doing in L.A.? Shouldn't you be in New York?" 

Vanessa looks at Brandon, cautiously. "We are on a break. About to start a new season of Switched at Birth."  

Brandon thinks. "Oh, i haven't heard of that before." 

Vanessa slams down her fork and everyone jumps at the loud sound. "What!? Who hasn't heard of Switched at Birth!? Seriously, do you live under a rock?" 

"No, i-." Brandon starts. 

"Vanessa, please apologize to him. That was very rude." Laura's father says. 

Vanessa rolls her eyes and looks away. "Sorry," she mutters, half-heartedly. 

What was wrong with Vanessa? She has never ever acted like this before. Why did everyone hate Brandon? I mean, give him a chance. 

"Well, this is awkward." Brandon says. And he shouldn't have said it because Laura's mom starts to talk. 

"Well, i am sorry it was silent for one second. If it is too awkward for you, the door is that way." Mrs. Marano says pointing to the door. 

Brandon looks at the door and then at Laura, mouthing 'help me'. 

Laura changes the subject. "Soo, Austin & Ally is going to be renewed for a third season."  

"That's great." Brandon says. 

"Wow, nice job, Laura." Vanessa says. 

Laura smiles. "Well, it wasn't just me. It was Ross, too." Laura pauses and then realizes she was so focused on Ross at the moment. "And of course, all of the other members of the cast and crew." She adds, quickly.