Eyes stinging, Link braced against the altar that adorned the fall wall, trying to calm his breathing.

"Have to find Ruto," he choked, still struggling to breathe normally. There was no time to rest. No time to wait. Ruto and the other Zora were depending on him.

Entering the next room through a side passage, Link arrived in a hall divided into two tiers. Two dead Zora lay at the foot of the stairs leading up to the upper level, alongside three of the strange serpentine monsters.

The muffled sounds of someone yelling caught his attention, and Link quickly ran up the small flight of steps to the upper tier. Here, at the far end of the room, was a Zora statue seated cross-legged before a shallow pool of water. It sat upon a bench richly decorated with carvings and symbols that Link did not recognise. The statue seemed to gaze down at the figure lying before it on the bench—a figure in tattered robes.

Ruto lay bound and gagged and seemed more angry than frightened.

"Ruto!" Link stepped towards her, relieved to see she was still as vocal as ever, which meant her wounds weren't serious. Either that, or she was doing a fine job pretending she was fine.

Link didn't make it far before common sense took hold. He looked around the room for any danger. Ruto was still trying to speak, but he couldn't understand her words. He picked up the word idiot- albeit muffled- when she tried emphasising every syllable.

"Ruto," Link said, hurrying towards her, a little puzzled by her anger. "Hang on."

Ruto abruptly stopped struggling, her eyes widening with a chilling fear. Link whirled, sword raised, but the room remained still. Empty.

"What?" he breathed, then–

"I knew you would come." Dark Link's voice echoed, seemingly from the air itself. He stepped out from behind the pillar with an almost mocking swagger. "You are so predictable," he sneered. "Of course, it helps when I am you."

Dark Link smirked, "You are wrong, Hero of Time. The darkness inside of you sustains me, and as long as it exists, so will I, but you're right, we are different. You walked right into my trap without a second thought, whereas I would never let myself be fooled by something so... obvious."

Link ground his teeth at the demon's mocking tone, watching warily as it stepped slowly closer, completely at ease. Link wanted to use the Fire Medallion there and then, but he wasn't sure how long he could wield it without succumbing to its debilitating effects. The doppelgänger circled him, stepping in close, regarding him. Its sinister smile was gone, replaced by a controlled, cold malice and an unflinching stare that made Link want to look away.

Dark Link tilted his head from side to side, measuring Link like a predator waiting to pounce. "Tell me, Hero of Time, why do you fight? Is it for a princess who fled her kingdom the moment it fell? A princess who cannot protect her own people?"

Link circled, trying to block out the words while finding an opening to slip his sword through. His attempts were hopeless; Dark Link deflected every thrust and jab with effortless ease, amusement flickering in his glowing red eyes.

"Do you fight for your Goddesses?" Dark Link asked. "Did you know they will destroy Hyrule? They will drown their people under the waves! Do you think they are benevolent? Do you think they even care about your world? It is but a star in the sky to them- one world amongst countless others. Hyrule will fall!"

Link did not reply, not believing for a moment that the Goddesses would do such a thing. It made no sense! Why would they do that after putting him- not to mention everyone else- through so much pain? No, the demon was trying to distract him. Link knew he couldn't let that happen; any misstep now, any mistake, and that black blade would slice through his throat.