A Family Of My Own

Start from the beginning

As for my twin sisters (yes... more sisters), Olivia and Isabella again were identical to their very core. Us six girls all shared similarities to our mother, Rose, whereas the boys looked more like my dad Cameron.

We were all easily identifiable as siblings, the eight of us. And when we were with our parents, the similarities between us were more noticeable.

"Bec?" someone suddenly snapped their fingers in front of my eyes, and I startled myself out of my deep thoughts.

"What?" I said, confused.

"Jeez, I'd hate to be in your head," Addy chuckled. "Come on. Mom's cooked lunch for us."

"Mom's home?" I frowned.

"Yes!" Addy groaned. "Now come on! Mom and dad said they have something exciting to tell us."

"They always tell us that to get us downstairs, Addy," I sighed. "I'm doing my homework. Can't you wait like, ten minutes? I'm almost done!"

"Lunch, Becca!" Addy said, grabbing my arm and pulling me from my chair.

Mom finally returned to college and then went to medical school. She was now a second year ER resident, and she worked twelve hour shifts. Quite often Noah and I would look after Emily, Olivia and Isabella, because dad finished work late, and mom didn't get home until midnight.

I walked downstairs to find mom looking happy, and dad waiting for us.

"Hey, mom," I smiled, taking my seat at the table. "Did you finish work early or something?"

"Yes, for once," she said, looking relieved. "Slow day. But I'm going back tonight, so... anyway. How's everything going here, Bec?"

"Same as usual," I replied, grabbing a toasted sandwich from the large pile. "So Addy said you have to tell us something...?"

"We are taking holidays!" mom grinned.

"Wait, is this one of those things where you're going to go away and leave the eight of us here for the night?" I frowned.

"No, we're going to go to Canada, Bec," dad informed me.

"Canada?" I repeated. "When?"

"Next month," mom smiled.

"I have exams next month, mom," I sighed. "If you go then... I can't come."

"Well, it was the only time I could get off of work," mom said sadly. "I'm so sorry, honey. I forgot."

"How convenient that since you've had a career, you've forgotten about me?" I snapped. "I know that when I have kids I'm not going to have a fancy college or med school degree, and I'm gonna stay at home and actually raise them!"

I stormed off to my room, and could feel the anger building up in me. But it was unusual, because I never usually got this angry at anyone in my family. I slumped down on my bed, face down.

Mom came up about ten minutes later, gently knocking on the door before allowing herself to come in. I rolled over onto my back, and stared at the ceiling.

"Everything okay, Becca?" mom asked softly.

"I hate that you're never home," I admitted. "You used to always be here. Then we got older, and you went back to school. It's hard."