Chapter 2

Chapter Two//Attention Seeker

Margaret's POV

"Gavin!" I yelled out my window. "We need to go!"

"I'll be down there in a minute!" He yelled back.

I just sighed and went downstairs and then to his car to wait for him to drive me to school. We were running behind and would be late if we didn't leave soon. Soon enough, Gavin comes walking out of his front door to his car and unlocks it, allowing us to get inside.

"Took you long enough," I mutter.

"What was that?" He says testing me.

"Oh, nothing."

"Thought so, you should be happy I drive you to school. You could be taking the bus."

"Whatever."

We speed to school and part ways to walk to our classes. I walk in as the bell rings and sit down next to my best friend, Cara.

"Why weren't you by your locker this morning?" She asks. I always talk with her in the morning by my locker.

"Gavin was running late," I say annoyed.

"Oh gotcha."

"Mhm," I say with a half smile as the teacher began her lesson.

The class dragged on for what seemed like hours until the bell rang and I sprinted to the door. I went to my locker to get my things for my next class only to find Gavin already by it. Oh, and Angelina was there, too, basically throwing herself at him.

I cleared my fought to get their attention.

"You're leaning against my locker, Gavin," I say annoyed.

"Oh sorry," he says shifting over.

I open my locker and get my things and can't help overhear their conversation.

"So Gavin," Angelina says putting a hand on his arm. "I was thinking maybe we could catch a movie tonight?"

I tensed at this, tonight was Friday and Gavin and I already had plans. I swear if he blows them off-

"I can't," he replies and I smile to myself. "I already have plans."

"Oh," Angelina says and she over-exaggerates a pout.

"We can go out tomorrow, though," he says and I get annoyed again, for whatever reason.

"Okay," she says and her face lights up again. She pecks him on the cheek then walks away. "Text me!"

"So you and Angelina seem to be hitting it off," I remark as we walk to class.

"Eh," he says scrunching his nose.

"What do you mean eh? You just told her you'd go out with her."

"Yeah but I don't know if I actually will."

"Well then that's just rude," I say scoffing. "She's looking forward to it now."

"I'm confused," he says. "Am I supposed to go out with her or not? You're being weird."

"I'm being weird?"

"Uh, yeah. First you're annoyed that she wants to go out with me now you're annoyed that I don't."

"I wasn't annoyed," I mumble looking down. "I'm confused because you shamelessly flirt with her."

"This conversation makes no sense," Gavin says and I nod in agreement. "Let's just go to class."

Gavin's POV

Mags and I walked to class and sat down at out seats, me towards the front and her near the back with her friend Joyce. I couldn't help but steal occasional glances at her as I watched her laugh and talk. Gosh, she was so beautiful. What? Why did I just think that. I averted my attention to thinking about Angelina. I don't know why I didn't want to go out with her. I flirt with her and she's hot. But there was something missing.

The bell rang, signaling class was over and I realized I didn't pay attention during class at all.

Oh well, I'll just have to make Mags tell me whatever we were supposed to have learned.

I saw her leave the classroom before waving to Joyce and I left shortly after. She was walking down the halls texting on her phone when I saw her bump into some guy and the papers and books she was holding fell to the ground. Her and the guy both knelt down to gather her stuff. She apologized and so did he and their eyes met. I've been watching from the side the entire time. The guy laughed and introduced himself as Andrew, offering a hand to help her up. She blushed and took it.

Why was she blushing? She only blushes because of me, no one else. Woah there, Gavin. Calm down, possessive much?

"Whats your name?" The guy, Andrew asked Mags.

"Margaret," she responded. "But everyone just calls me Maggie."

"I like that name, Margaret," he said smiling and made her blush again.

Is-is he flirting with her? With my Mags? Inside I was fuming. I marched up to where they were stood, jaw clenched.

"Hey Mags," I said clearly interrupting. "We gotta get to the parking lot."

"Gavin," she says shooting me a disapproving look. "You interrupted Andrew."

I felt a little pang in my heart when she seemed disinterested in me and more interested with Andrew.

"Sorry," I say glaring at Andrew. "But we need to go."

"Fine," she mumbles, then smiles at Andrew. "Bye Andrew, it was nice meeting you."

"Yeah," he says and I catch him quickly eyeing her up. "See you around."

I don't let Mags respond and grab her wrist, dragging her towards class.

"What was that for?" She fumes at me once we make it to my car.

"We needed to get to my car so we could beat the after school traffic," I respond.

"You could've left on your own. I was talking to someone."

"Yeah I saw that. Who was that?"

"He said his name was Andrew," she says messing with the hem of her shirt. One of her nervousness habits. "I don't really know him though."

"I don't like him," I said bluntly.

"Why? Because he was talking to me?"

Oh god, here we go.

"Yeah I know," she goes off. "God forbid a guy try's to talk to me. It's not like it ever really happens. Couldn't you have at least let me get some attention. I know that sounds conceited and pathetic, but you know it never happens. Guys don't really find me," she pauses and quietly says, "attractive."

I winced at her words. Did she really think that? How could she not know she's one of the hottest girls at our school? I mean I probably have something to do with it, not really letting any guys get close to her. But still.

"I'm sorry," I say looking at her. "But you don't really think that about yourself, do you?"

"Kind of," she says quietly.

I start to say so,etching but no words come out. 'Mags you're the most beautiful girl in the world,' is what I want to say but it doesn't come out. Why do I keep thinking these things?

"See even you think it," she says and I wince again.

"No, no," I say looking at her. "Not at all."

We pull up to our houses and she gets out of the car right away.

"Just forget about our plans tonight," she says. "Go out with Angelina for all I care."

And with that she goes inside her house leaving me speechless.