Chapter 1

A/N: This is unedited and I will not be editing it until after the end of Nanowrimo.

Dawn

The footsteps, they were getting closer and closer. She could even hear breathing that wasn't her own as she tried to hastily find a place to get out of sight while still staying quiet. Passing by the first few doorways, as they would be the obvious first choice, she tried the doorknob on the third door on the right side of the hallway. Luckily, the door was unlocked and opened soundlessly. The door led to a small bathroom and the girl surveyed the surroundings as fast as she could and came to a decision. Hiding behind the shower curtain was a bad idea it was probably the first place that anyone would look. All that was left for hiding spaces were a few cabinets stacked on top of each other next the sink and the cabinet that the sink sat on top of. She opened the lowest cabinet next to the sink. Even though it seemed like it would be too tight of a space she knew she needed to get out of sight right away. So hastily she started squeezing her small frame into the space. As soon as the cabinet door was fully closed she covered her mouth with her shaking hands to muffle her breathing, as her heart beat rapidly in her chest.

"You can't hide forever," he eerily stated, footsteps growing even closer. Her breathing hitched, she could tell he was just outside the door and she prayed that he would keep walking. The sound of doorknob turning filled her with dread when she realized all that was keeping her hidden was the thin cupboard door. As the shower curtain screeched against the rod she squeezed her eyes shut knowing that the cabinets would probably be the next place to check. When the sound of the other cabinets being opened and closed resounded throughout the room she held her breath. Oh no. This is it. He's going to catch me. No longer being able to hold her breath she shakily exhaled just as the cabinet door was thrown open. "Found you!" he yelled as she was pulled up into strong arms.

"Daddy!" she screamed between giggles as he started tickling her. "You found Dusky first right? I don't wanna be it again. It's no fun and I'm always it," she pouted. Before he could respond and let her know she heard her mother calling them all to dinner downstairs.

"You did such a good job Dawn sweetie," her dad replied as he started moving towards the steps with her in his arms. "It's hard to believe I'm lucky enough to have such smart six year olds. It took me twice as long to find you this time compared to last time," he chuckled. As they started descending the steps he asked in a whisper "Can you do your daddy a super important favor?" She nodded in response she knew her daddy would never ask her to do something that she wouldn't like. "You need to promise me to always look out for0 Dusk. You two are twins, and twins always stick together. Even if your mother and I aren't around, you two will always be there for each other. Okay?" She nodded and held out her pinky in agreement she would do anything for her sister or parents and pinky promises were big promises.

- - - - - - - - -

As I lay in bed I could feel the dried tear streaks on my cheeks. Every time I had a dream about either of my parents, I would be reduced to tears when I awoke. Although they had been gone for years their memory still brought on strong waves of emotion. It's like my father already knew that something was going to cut their time with us one day when he asked me to watch after Dusk. Five years later both he and mom were killed on their way home from their weekly date night dinner. A car had smashed into the side of their car after ploughing through a stop sign and then drove off. When they finally tracked down the owner of the car the owner had said that it was stolen. The police report said that some drunken person stole the car for a joyride when they hit our parents, but the culprit was never apprehended. With only my sister and I, two small girls, to champion a case to investigate and find the culprit it fell on the backburner and eventually was ruled a closed case.