Chapter 4: Once Upon a Time

Later, that night...
Zelda

I open the Book of Mudora and stare at the ripped page with the Light Arrows on it.

Casey walks out of his room with just his pants on.

"Mom?" He asks, rubbing his eyes. "I didn't know that you were still up."

"I was just about to go to bed." I say. "I was just looking at this page in the Book of Mudora."

"The one with the Light Arrows?"

"Yeah."

The door opens. I turn to see who it is, which is stupid because the only people that have keys to our house is Casey, myself, and Beth.

"I saw the light on and figured I'd say goodnight." She says as she walks in.

She looks at the Book.

"What's that?" She asks as she walks over.

"The Book of Mudora." Casey answers.

"We thought it was destroyed when Link and Ganondorf took over." I say.

"Last time we attacked Hyrule Castle, I stole it." Beth confesses.

"Don't bring up that day, Beth!" Casey demands.

"I'm sorry, Casey. I didn't mean to." Beth says.

"I know you didn't, but still."

Beth looks down at the Book of Mudora.

"Do you have any idea where the other half of this page could be?" I ask.

"Oh, I know exactly where it is." Beth responds.

"Great. Where is it?" Casey asks his girlfriend.

"At my house." She responds.

"Wait, why do you have it?" I ask.

"I ripped it out when I stole it, so that if Ganondorf, Link, or the Dark Knights found the Book of Mudora, they wouldn't have the whole page and be able to find the Light Arrows. I'll go grab it." She says and runs out the door.

Beth

I walk into my house. I walk over to a steel chest with a steel lock. I unlock the chest and open it. Right on top of everything is the torn page. No one else has a key to this except me. There's something that I never want Zelda or Casey to see. Ever. My Dark Knight uniform.

From when I was ten until two years ago, before Casey and Zelda took refuge here. I was a Dark Knight. I regret everything I did as a Dark Knight. I torched towns. Killed innocent people. I was only five when Ganondorf and Link kidnapped me.

Mom holds me tight in her arms. I shake with fear. Dad stands in front of the door, ready with his sword.

A blast of dark energy destroys the door and reveals the Great King of Evil, Ganondorf, and the Sage of Darkness and former Hero of Time, Link.

Ganondorf draws his sword. Dad charges him and sparks fly as their swords clash together.

"You fight well for a blacksmith." Ganondorf snarls.

"I train with each sword to make sure it's sharp enough to kill one of your monsters." Dad says.

The force of the next blow knocks Dad's sword from his hand and it lands in front of Mom. Ganondorf runs Dad through with his sword.

"No!" Mom screams.

Ganondorf and Link turn to walk out of the house. They only came for Dad it seems. He supplied the Resistance with weapons.

Mom picks up Dad's sword.

"Stay here." She orders me.

I nod.

She runs at Ganondorf and tries to attack him, but the blow is shielded by Link with a shield of dark energy.

He grabs Mom's throat.

"We were going to spare you, but you made your choice." He says in his evil, menacing voice.

There's a CRACK and Mom collapses to the ground. Link crushed her throat.

Link starts walking towards me. I back away from him. He draws the Master Sword. He raises it about his head.

"Wait!" Ganondorf orders. "She could prove to be useful."

The Sage of Darkness sheathes his sword.

"As you wish, my king." He says, bowing.

I shake my head to clear my mind. I fold up the page and put it in my pocket.

Casey

Beth walks through the door.

She reaches into her back pocket and pulls out the other half of the page. It's blank, though. Mom takes the page from her hand and turns to look at the Book of Mudora.

She slowly places the page with the other half. A flash of light comes from the Book as the halves merge. We shield our eyes.

The light disappears and we uncover our eyes.

"It worked." Mom says.

She picks up the Book of Mudora. There's now lettering on the bottom page.

"Where are the pieces at?" I ask.

"The Water Temple in Lake Hylia. The Spirit Temple in Gerudo Valley. And the Forest Temple in Kokiri Forest."

"Gerudo Valley is Ganondorf's home. No doubt he'll have their loyalty." Beth says.

"Kokiri Forest is your father's home, Casey, but the Kokiri would never be loyal to Ganondorf. We should be fine there." Mom says.

"Where do we go first?" Beth asks.

"I want you two to go to the Water Temple while I go to the Spirit Temple. We'll meet up at the Forest Temple." Mom answers.

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"Casey, I can handle myself." Mom says.

"I know." I sigh. "I just worry about you, Mom. I've already grown up without a Dad. I don't want to lose you, too."

"I know you don't, but you have to trust me. We'll leave tomorrow morning." She says.

"I need to find someone to put in charge of the village." Beth says.

"Good night, Beth." I yawn.

"Night." She says and kisses me. "See you in a few hours." She walks out the door.

"We better go to bed." Mom says, patting me on the back. "We have a long couple days ahead."