12. Voting for Silence

Start from the beginning

"Oh, now you're embarrassed." I could hear his loud guffaws of laughter.

If possible, my face reddened even more.

"If you're done flirting with my cousin and drooling over Dylan, let's go," he said and suddenly I could hear his car alarm go off as it unlocked.

Suddenly he walked past me and towards his car.

Had he been behind me the whole time?

"Get in, Krystal, or you're walking home," he said as he got into the car.

Embarrassed, I followed after him and got in too.

* * *

The silence in the car was deafening as Douglas hit 80 in a 60 zone.

I played around with the buckle of my bag aimlessly as I watched the passing buildings. They were simply blurring together as the engine revved some more causing the car to accelerate even more down the empty highway.

I felt my stomach tighten as I held on tight. My entire body tensed.

I had never really had a fear of speed but when you're stuck in a sports car with a lunatic who had a record of crashing sports car every other day, you tend to fear for your life. I looked over at the speedometer. 80mph.

What the hell? Was he trying to kill us? Or was he suddenly getting tired of this car too that he planned to smash it up for easier disposal?

"Slow down," I begged as I stared at the road ahead, hoping there was no accident causing materials up ahead or even god forbid a 7/11. He seemed to have a tendency to crash into those. "Please." I added soon after. That word had a higher chance of getting you want you wanted, right?

Douglas chuckled. "What? Scared?"

Was it just me or did he seem to press on the accelerator even more?

I didn't reply back, my fingers wrapping themselves around the seatbelt, and hoping desperately that the airbag would deploy if something bad happened.

"You are scared," he said, clearly amused.

I looked over him and glared,or tried to at least. I must have resembled a cornered chicken. "Obviously you raging lunatic!" I stared at the road again, silently praying that we would not end up as a road accident statistic today, if ever.

I felt him looking at me, probably about ready to throw insults, but he didn't. I looked over at him, confused.

His jaw clenched as his fingers clung tightly around the steering wheel.

Then gradually, I felt the car slow down. I looked at the speedometer again.

80. 75. 70. 65. 60mph

My once rapidly pounding heart was returning back to its normal pace.

"T-thanks," I muttered under my breath as my muscles relaxed.

The car was silent for what felt like hours before he said, "I'm sorry. I always drive like that."

I didn't say anything. After all he had slowed down. The only response I had to his statement was 'You're an idiot who doesn't care about anyone else's life except your own!'