Chapter 55- Masquerade

What did Harper exactly do in that month? It was pathetic to confess that she had achieved nothing only that if she somehow miraculously defended a world record, it would have to be because of the amount of tissues she had stocked up. The kitchen cupboard was on the urge of bursting at any given point.

Harper had also changed in appearance; her nose had become that of resemblance to a clown's nose, her old attire of long skirts came back to fashion and she even scavenged at the bottom of her wardrobe for blouses that her Nan would be proud to wear. In all honesty, the clothes part were more to how she felt insecure about herself. That confidence that had blossomed over the past months was to slack off.

Although if there was anything she was to praise or even be proud of, it was because Harper had learned to control her emotions. Only one problem.

Just as long no one mentioned James.

There were things she had learnt to do, even the usual like taking deep breaths to stablish herself from not turning into a complete wreck. Or how for the first time in years, she joined Dani at gym where she would work her arse off pedalling faster or sweating off with everything to do with James. Yes, the benefit of that was she had worked a great shape on herself, toning her arms, legs and stomach however that was only covered when she dressed in clothes fit enough for the elderly.

Remember deep breaths. And exhale.

See she was coping. But in all truth, there had to be times where she needed to let off a little steam, to cry because keeping it all bottled up, would only repeat an episode of when she got drunk at that nightclub. She just had to balance it all out. It would work out eventually, and she'll forget about James and then it would be an easy topic to talk about.

Work. How was work going? It was different. Maybe because for once she was actually doing the job she was supposed to be doing. Hey, it even took her time to get back in the swings of things that she was sure she would have forgot how to count or even master the simplest of calculations. But no, she was enjoying it there. Harper adored the team she was with though she couldn't deny how strange or how bad she missed to see Elliot on lunch. The layout was similar to...the firm that-shall-not-be-named, even with the different name or different faces. And then there was Ethan who had ensured she was settled down where she was introduced to Miranda; her department boss whom had no problems getting Harper into the spring of it all. Ethan was considerate, kind and generally the type of guy you would want your parents to meet and not to add, how he was incredibly gorgeous. Harper was entirely in debt to his generosity of even offering her a job in the first place. That it only hurt her to see...scratch that.

Inhale. Exhale. Deep breaths. Focus.

That it only hurt her to see how James had punched the living lights out of Ethan who curled into the corner. What a monster! And she couldn't believe she had actually given him a chance to speak. A chance to speak the truth.

Okay calm down. Harper closed her eyes for that brief second. No, she wasn't going to cry. See, she could handle it.

Anyway, back to Ethan. As she said, she was in debt to him that she only saw it right to return his favour. Ethan had been more than often demanding her presence, if it was to see how she was doing or just for a quick chat with coffee on the side generally wanting to talk and chat. At times, he would be waiting for her at reception offering a ride home that she would profusely refuse in fear of over-staying his hospitality, only he wouldn't take a no for answer. No, she had no strange suspicions to why he was so friendly, only perhaps it was just his way of behaviour.

Then there was that one morning where he sent for someone to collect her to come see him in his office. Ethan sat at his desk, his suit jacket off and his sleeves rolled up as she entered approaching his desk. He smiled gesturing his hand towards the single brown leather chair that faced directly to his desk.