Chapter 1- Welcome to Georgia

"Excuse me, Miss, may you please turn your cellular device off please. The plane is about to depart."

I look up from my phone and see a middle aged woman staring at me expectantly. "Yeah, sure thing." I say. It's not like he's going to call anyway. By he, I mean my boyfriend for almost five months, or should I say ex-boyfriend. Once he found out that our summer of romance and fun wasn't going to be happening, he got all upset and took it out on me. It's not my fault my parents didn't trust me enogh to stay home alone all summer while they were off vacationing in the Carrabean, if I could stay I would. Unfortunateley, I had no say in the matter whatsoever, so now it's the summer before my junior year and I'm being shipped off to stay with my grandparents in Georgia. Lucky me.

I look over at the seat next to me and see that the guy occupying it is completely passed out. I guess that means no awkward air talk. I slump back down into my seat and continue reading the summer book requirement, To Kill a Mockingbird. Why Ms.Morgan wants sixteen year olds to read about the journey of a six year old beats me. Tom has just taken the stand, when the plane jolts and my seating partner falls on top of me. "Well that's just great." I mutter. Attempting to push the man off, I get a glimpse out of the window and see that the plane has started it's desent. Finally.

- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - -

"Elena, sweetie, over here!", exclaims my grandma, using all the air in her lungs. I roll my small suticase over to greet my grandparents. Instantly, I'm cought in a bone-crushing hug from my grandfather. "How has little El been doing?" "Fine.. Caan't..Breathe." He releases me, chuckling and saying, "Sorry. Don't know my own strength sometimes." "Tim, honey, don't kill the girl. Just think of her parents reaction if they found out we had killed her within less then a minute. Now let's go, I have a pie in the oven." grandma says, and with that we climb into the truck.

When we arrive i drop my luggage and run to open the door for Iggy. "Hi good boy! Have you been a good boy?" I say as he rolls over so I can rub his stomach. Iggy is a black labrador retriever and my grandparents got him when I was ten. I have no idea why I insisted on naming him Iggy, but noone will refuse the only child in the family. My parents are both only children, so that means I grew up without cousins and aunts and uncles. After playing with Iggy for a few minutes, I rise and wander over to the kitchen where I smell one of grandma's delicious blueberry pies. I rip a little piece of the crust off and my grandma swats my hand away, "Wait until our guests arrive, Elena." "What guests?", I ask, looking at my reflection in the oven. Lets just say that I do not look my best after a flight. "Our neighbor, Hazel, and her daughter. You remember Hazel, right? Now, go get freshenned up and be down here in half an hour." I kiss her on the cheek, "Mmkay, Grandma."

Half an hour later I hop down the stairs in my white jean shorts and a green tank top, with my blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail. My grandma walks in with a woman and a girl about my age. "Elena, this is Hazel, as you know, and her daughter Sophia.", she says gesturing to the two making their way into the dining room. Hazel walks over and pulls me into a hug saying, "Oh my, you grow more and more every time you visit." I look over her shoulder to see Sophia. She looks kind of timid but is absolutely stunning. She has chestnut colored hair and super tan skin and she's wearing distressed denim shorts and a white lace top that makes her look even tanner. Hazel releases and says, "Oh Sophia's your age, you too will get along just fine." I extend my hand to Sophia, "Hi, it's very nice to meet you. I'm Elena." She shakes my hand and nods. I make a mental note- silent, possibly shy, gorgeous. She turns to her mom, "Hey can i go out to the beach tonight? A bunch of kids from school are there for the end of the year bonfire." Her mom says, "Actually that's a great idea. Elena can meet some friends there." I look at sophia, "Are you sure you wouldn't mind bringing me?" "Yeah, sure, whatever." , she responds while typing away on her phone. I grap my sweatshirt and we go.