Angel in pain

It was noon when James put the vampire down on the cold, hard floor of a huge room. Down on one knee, he closely examined the dangerous creature on the night before. She, for now, looked so small and helpless, sleeping peacefully with her leg squeezing each other, as if it was so cold and her short jeans were not so helpful against the air. Her hair, covering half of her face, had the same color as the blood stain on the edge of her mouth, which was fading away fast. Shivered hard, she folded her arms tight across her stomach, bent her body and moved her thighs closer to her arms. To the end of her white, fine legs, at the bottom of the bleeding tiny feet, some glass pieces fell out.

"Hide the broken glass was a simple illusion, but a fairly efficient trap," he commented and paused for a second, before continued with a sarcastic tone, "for human." Standing up, he said, "I wonder why this vampire was walking bare feet. What do you think?"

He turned arround and found the woman looking out through where there was once a wall but apparently destroyed neatly. From where she was standing, there was a good view to the town across a golden river. A hot wind flew into the room, made her stepped one foot back.

"That hurts." James' voice was right behind her. She turned around, felt awkwardly sorry but somehow she just couldn't say the apology for stepping on his foot. She looked at him for a moment and then walked away but James caught her arm and pulled back. Still she looked down, avoiding his eyes.

"Hey. In case you don't know, I was talking to you. Don't keep avoiding me like that, you came to me at..." He stopped as the woman looked up with eyes filled with tears. Surprised, he loosen his hand and let her go. He stood still as she made her way to the corner and sat down quietly. To the opposite corner, he did the same thing unwillingly. It had always been hard for him to deal with women's tears. Without a word, they looked at each other for hours or so, that the sun had moved its place for a quite a journey. The vampire stayed unconscious, lying like a baby. Any blood stain on her body had disappeared, left ones on her clothes be the only records of the chaos before. The woman opened her mouth, ready to say something, but it still took her minutes to put her though together. When she started speaking, her voice was so low that James nearly lost her.

"I was so glad that we found you," she sniffed. It was almost like she was going to bust in to tears again, but finally she calmed herself down and spoke, "My mind driver gave me a nonstop-talking about how lucky we were, and he was so excited that he drove me three days to this town without a minute to sleep." She paused, glance at the vampire and bit her lip so hard that it started bleeding. "And now that we got you and that vampire," as she spoke, tears found their way out of the corners of her eyes, down to her high cheek. "Why did he had to die? Why did that thing..." The scream was interrupted as she tried to choked up her tears. She raised, with a long, head-sharpen piece of wood, probably a leg of a chair, conveniently appeared on her left hand at that moment. "...killed him?"

James jumped up, ran to stand between her and the vampire. He looked deeply into her eyes, "A illusionist, a breaker, a mind driver and a vampire?" This time he had to grab both her arm to keep her. "Don't tell me that you believe that ridiculous legend." She pushed him away with all her might and yelled at his face, "Yes, I believe that legend" She stepped one step ahead and pointed her wooden spear at him, "And yes, I was about to ask you to help me to find that ridiculous doll of silence so that I can bring my father back alive." Leaned closer to face him eyes to eyes, and stressed every single word, "So what?"

Standing in front of him was no longer the angel of the rain, but a woman with so much pain deeply carved in to her soul that her eyes were fill with hatreds and anger. Her hands were shaking hard and her white dress was messed up by bloody color. James held the broken angel tight against his chest. In his arm, she started crying out loud. As James heard the sound of a wooden chair leg fell on the cold, hard floor, he felt two arms around his waist.

"The name was Elena."