Chapter Five

"Daniel, do you know this creep?" Jay asked. Daniel never looked Jay's way, but nodded. "He's supposed to be dead." Jay stared at Daniel. "Supposed to be dead? Does that mean you..." Jay trailed off.

Daniel finally looked away from the man. "No!" He snapped. "But someone else died trying to save him." Daniel looked back at the man. "You've been down here the entire time, Styer? All these years, all those times I almost died looking for your body and you've been here the entire time!"

Styer laughed. "Of course you've been looking. You never learned self preservation,though, did you? And that idiot Rockwell got himself killed. Did he really think that I, of all people, would get killed by these buffoons?" He gestured to the Kagens.

"Daniel, you have a lot of explaining to do." Jay whispered.

"Okay, but first we have to get out of here. Just... Let me do the talking." Daniel turned back to Styer. "We came here for one reason and one reason only, so just give us the girl and we'll--" Daniel was cut off by Styer.

"You really think I'd let you leave now? And right before the execution? Wouldn't you two love to see what I have planned for your little friend."

Jay was fed up with Styer at this point. "New plan!" He cried, then grabbed the spear from the closest Kagen. Jay got his chance to pull Daniel along for once as he pushed down the staircase.

"This is a terrible plan!" Daniel yelled as he was dragged down the stairs. "Not like your's was any better," Jay muttered in response as he pushed Kagens out of the way with his spear.

"Daniel!" Styer cried after them. "Wey-fra-ju ju-os-fra-hio!" He told the Kagens. Apparently it was along the lines of "Get them," as the mob of Kagens rushed after them.

The end was around the corner, Jay could see the flagstones. He jumped the last few stairs, pulling Daniel down them. Daniel stumbled and fell, stopped by Jay grasping his arm. Daniel quickly got back up.

The bottom floor was a labyrinth of empty corridors, lined with prison cells and cages. Small animals inhabited the cages, while Kagens were in the few filled cells. Smears of what appeared to be blood adorned the walls. These smears were accompanied by chipped pieces of the rock wall, torn out by the unfortunate prisoners.

"We could be here for hours!" Jay told Daniel, slowing down. He released Daniel from his death-grip and sat down. Jay took long deep breathes, gradually slowing down. He looked back up at Daniel. "What do we do? Anne'll die down here."

"What we need is a plan," Daniel started, sitting down next to Jay. "So how about we--"

"Yeah, right!" Jay interrupted. "What plan is going to get us through here? I doubt that even Styer can find his way through here."

"That's it!" Daniel exclaimed.

"What's it?" Jay asked, puzzled.

"You said it yourself, not even Styer could find his way through here. So, how could he get to the back?"

"A back door!" Jay yelled, standing up. "So, either Anne's in the front or the back, and then we can just grab her and get to the closest exit!"

Daniel stood up. "It's not that simple. There'll be Kagens guarding both exits, unless they don't know about Styer's exit. To keep Kagens from knowing about the exit, if they didn't already know, your friend will be in the front."

"Yeah, so?"

"The Kagens will think that the only way out is through the front. They'll have guards everywhere."

Jay looked around. "I see your point, but which way's front?"

"That might be a problem. We didn't go one way the entire time, so I have no idea."

"I might have an idea," Jay replied. "Do you trust me?"

"Well, I just met you this morning after you broke into my lab, so yes. I trust you."

"Great. ANNE!" Jay yelled at the top of his lungs.