Chapter Three

Jay and Daniel stepped out of Shaft 15.

Glowing rocks lit up everything, giving the buildings an unearthly light. A palace of sorts had been made from glowing rock, stone, and wood, as if the Kagen traveled into the jungle occasionally. Some weird kind of donkey hobbled around, carrying people and supplies. Buildings carved into the columns and stone walls loomed over everything. A stream flowed through everything, starting somewhere under the palace.

A man with a spear and cloth around his waste walked past. Daniel pulled Jay back into the shaft, closing the doors. He turned on a camera and showed the video feed on a large screen.

"What was that for?" Jay hissed, not wanting to be heard by the Kagens outside.

"I told you, they are extremely hostile!" Daniel shot back.

With a quick glance to the screen, Daniel opened the doors back up and him and Jay ran to the cover of a shadow. They sneaked into a dark spot between buildings.

"Okay," Daniel started "I've been here before, and know where things are. They would most likely be keeping your friend in the bottom of the Glow Castle, that's the big palace, in the Death Room."

Jay gulped. "Death Room?"

Daniel nodded. "It's where they put they prisoners. Most get sentenced to death, so we used to call it the Death Room."

As Daniel explained the plan, Jay noticed two Kagens having a conversation.

"Ah-ya-qi-ky-pone-finay-fra-ya Wey-ahda-pone-dri Gra-ta-ky-ju-ahda-fra." The first Kagen said. He showed much enthusiasm, as if he was happy about whatever he was saying.

"Ju-os-fra-tren Lak-qi-fra?" At this, the first Kagen nodded vigorously. The second Kagen looked extremely please.

"Daniel, what are they saying?" Jay asked, still listening to the Kagens.

"Have you been listening at all?" Daniel whispered, showing more than enough irritation. He sighed. "It's their language. I can speak bits and pieces, but not enough to negotiate a peace treaty. It's strange, though. They don't speak in complete sentences, but they use the same words. They just have different sounds for the letters."

Daniel explained the layout of the Glow Castle and the plan again, but it was clear that Jay wasn't listening. He was trying to decipher what the Kagens were saying.

Daniel glanced over at him. He was still studying the Kagens as they went about their daily lives. Daniel, again, sighed. "Jay!" He snapped in Jay's ear to get his attention. Jay was pulled back to the moment by the loud sound.

"Never mind the plan. Let's just run in and act menacing. They don't understand other humans, so they won't know if we are a threat. In their confusion, we get your friend. Got it?" Daniel said quickly and quietly, making sure none of the Kagens heard him.

Before Jay could respond, Daniel pulled him through the open, turning heads as the two pushed through the crowd. Before any of the Kagen warriors could pull out a spear, they reached the doors of the Glow Palace.

The lobby of the Glow Palace was deserted. Jay didn't have a chance to see what the room looked like before Daniel pulled him down a stair case to their right.

The staircase twisted as Jay was practically dragged through an unknown place for the second time that day. Daniel pushed past unsuspecting Kagens as he raced to save Anne. "Almost... There..." Daniel yelled between breaths.

But, not to Jay's surprise, Daniel tripped towards the end of the seemingly endless staircase. As Daniel plummeted towards the bottom, he loosened his grip on Jay's arm. Jay grabbed a ledge jutting out of the stone. He quickly grabbed Daniel's arm, stopping him about a foot away from the ground.

Daniel stared at the dusty stone floor. It was made from what looked like a kind of tile, and very little stone showed from underneath. Jay hoisted Daniel up. After Daniel got back on his feet, Jay realized where they were.

"Daniel," Jay whispered. Daniel brushed himself off. "What do you want?" Daniel hissed. "We have to-" Daniel silently cursed under his breath as he looked around the room.

Tens upon hundreds of Kagens stared at Jay and Daniel. Some were pulling spears out from where they were strapped across their backs.

"New plan," Daniel whispered. "RUN!"