Chapter 69 || "Lads Sleepover."

Start from the beginning

I just had to hope she could invent a third.

"Mum," I began, my voice dropping an octave as I tried to remain as professional as possible "I should have probably told you this about a month ago, but-"

"I'm home!" An abrupt voice exclaimed, the front door slamming harshly against the opposing wall. This was then followed by a muttered apology, to which my mother rolled her eyes and sighed.

"Your brother will be the death of me."

I chuckled lightly before trailing off into an exasperated groan, muttering profanities under my breath. I was so close to telling my mum about Ashton. So close.

"Mum! Is it okay if the boy's stay tonight?" Luke randomly asked, his gruff voice echoing powerfully around our small house.

My mother shot me a look as if to say 'save me' before yelling back a response, her expression twisted into look of displeasure.

"Honey, don't you think it's a little impractical?"

"What do you mean?" He questioned, dramatically flouncing into the living room. A figure followed in closely behind him and I felt my mouth dry, jealousy gripping wildly at my abandoned heart.

Ashton.

"Well, it's a school night." My mum explained, studying the two boys' wearily as they flopped down upon her couch "Wouldn't it be better for them to stay tomorrow?"

"But then that's Friday," he groaned, throwing his head back in annoyance "and we have graduation Saturday morning."

"Oh, I see." She mumbled, her lips pressed into a troubled line.

I knew exactly what she wished to tell them, yet she didn't want to appear unkind - especially in front of a guest - so she remained perched precariously upon the fence, swaying dangerously between sides.

"Please, mum." Luke pleaded, his lips drawn down into his signature 'I'm going to guilt-trip you into this' pout "This is the last opportunity we'll get for a lads sleepover."

"Lads sleepover." I snorted, receiving a haughty glare in return

"Shut up, Dora."

"Luke, I don't know." My mum mumbled, causing his hopeful smile to fall

"Please?" He begged, his eyes wide with hope "I promise we'll behave, Mum... Please?"

"Oh... Alright, fine." My mum sighed, caving in to Luke's requests. "But no running up and down the stairs."

"Thank you!" He exclaimed, excitedly nudging Ashton muscular shoulder before retrieving his phone from his pocket "I'll just go tell them."

As Luke typed hastily upon his phone, the room fell into an awkward silence, tension building between myself and Ashton. He was staring at me - his hazel eyes soft and apologetic - and I did my very best to ignore him, studying a random stain upon my old leggings.

I couldn't look at him, for I knew the minute my eyes fell upon his captivating hazel orbs - alight with boyish charm and humour - I would be entrapped, and all sense of annoyance or anger would be lost.

And I needed him to know how I felt. I needed him to know exactly how he had made me feel the past five days.

"So, does anyone want a drink?" My mother asked, breaking the silence and shooting us a questioning glance. I softly shook my head and Ashton politely declined, descending us back into our previous state.

Luke was too engrossed in his phone to notice.

"So how are you, Mrs Hemmings?" Ashton finally questioned, causing me to roll my eyes, letting out a disbelieving sigh.