Mission 1: Hello Eve

Start from the beginning

I was caught off guard for a moment. Only the Agency knows.

"I've been watching you... enjoying a cup of tea at some unpopular cafe, orphanage donations for the children of the criminals you captured or killed... all unknown to The Commission. A rule breaker, aren't you? We are alike. Have you ever wondered why you think like you do? Are you Asian? American? Russian? Your age, your real age? Do you know?"

Eves had no records. No pictures were allowed in public, not even any trace of our existence.

"I know, and I'll tell you. On one condition, of course."

This man was messing with my head, but then I was already messed up; he couldn't do worse. Too bad I couldn't kill him; protocol required suspects to be brought in for interrogation.

"Are you recording this?" I asked the control center, but there was no response on my device.

"Don't bother." He crossed his leg, ankle on the opposite leg. "This house is surrounded by jammers, activated at the start of our conversation."

The bastard. The intel we received was faux.

"Tik-tok, Eve5... tik-tok. Time is running, your friends are coming. Do you want to know the truth about your past?"

Though I had twisted goals on my own, he was able to poke where it stung. I was tempted for a moment.

"Don't trust me?"

My silence was a yes. Even children were taught never to accept candies from strangers. This faceless man was more than a stranger.

He rose from his seat. "Don't kill me tonight, and I'll tell you a secret."

He slowly walked towards me, the light crept up to his familiar face.

"Peter Adam Charleswin," I hissed. "A member of Fortunello, under Zachary Orleonne."

"The one and only." The devil had the guts to smile despite my aim at his smug face.

"You missed one thing, I may be known as Zachary's Lucky dog, but I'm also his... bad big brother."

Well, that's prime drama material. But before I could react, a sting poked my arm. It was too late to realize he wasn't alone. "Shit." My world spun. In my blurring vision, I outlined a figure who appeared beside him.

Strong arms caught me before I fell and heard the devil's whisper. "Let's meet again, Eve5."

When another cloud hovered above the sky, the whole room was shrouded in darkness; at the same time, I fell into a deep slumber.

—————

Following protocol, backup arrived when communication was cut off. They found me alone and snoring like a noisy log. Turns out, the needle had a strong sleeping formula that put me to bed for two whole days.

Now, I faced the agency heads through a conference video call to report.

"That's all, sir." I told them everything except Adam's offer to me. Like a soldier statue with hands on my back, I listened to people on the screen discuss and discern the information.

"If it's true that this Adam is the brother of Zachary Orleonne, how come we only heard it now?"

"Why fake intel and introduce himself?"

"He had a chance to kill our agent, but didn't."

"Is this some kind of message to us? A challenge?"

The men and women of the round table waited for the silent man at the center. He spoke at last.

"Any more intel, Eve5?"