"So about a minute maybe a little less." He laced my arms around his neck. "Just tap my shoulder or kick me or something when you need to come up."

I'd swum with a dolphin before at the aquarium, but this was way better. My hands clung to Jamie's shoulders as he carried me through the water, his back and legs flexing with each fluid movement. He was so beautiful when he swam, I almost forgot I needed air. I let go of his shoulders and kicked for the surface realizing I'd waited too long. I was seeing spots by the time Jamie grabbed my hand and shot us upward. The air hit my face and I gasped and sputtered. 

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gone that deep." He held me up while I breathed deeply, his eyes full of concern. "I can't imagine what it's like not being able to breathe underwater."

"Yeah, well, I can't imagine what it's like to breathe underwater."

"Let's try again. Tap me next time. I can get you up a lot faster."

Jamie took me under, and this time, I grabbed his hand and let him pull me along, setting what I knew was a leisurely pace, but the water still stung my eyes—a small price to pay to be able experience his world, even if it was only for a handful of seconds at a time. Underwater, it was quiet and peaceful and everything was shrouded in a green mist.

I squeezed his fingers and had to close my eyes when he shot us toward the surface.

"Is that okay? You good?"

"Yeah, I'm good," I said after catching my breath. How could I not be with Jamie's hands on my hips, his face so close I had to press my lips to the corner of his mouth?

He smiled into my kiss and we sank. It was only a matter of seconds before I needed air. I pulled on his hand but instead of heading to the surface, he breathed into me, filling my lungs with air and it was as if he were giving me his essence. We floated to the surface, slow and easy as a bubble. Jamie turned over on his back and settled me on top of him. The lights from shore were farther away than I expected and it was fully dark. I should have probably been freaking out, but I felt nothing but safe with him. 

I sighed and rested my hand on his chest, my chin on my hand. My finger lightly bumped the pearl nestled in the hollow of his throat. It seemed to warm under my touch. Noah wore a similar one. The one time I'd asked him about it, he'd clammed up, saying it was just a necklace, but I didn't think so.

The undulations of Jamie's hips and legs were slight, but it was enough to propel us toward shore. I smiled, enjoying the ride and the feel of him moving beneath me. "What are you?"

"What do you mean." His brows creased and something heated sparked in his eyes.

I lifted my head. "I didn't mean anything by it. I'm just curious why you are the way you are. Where did you come from?"

"There are a few people who would like to know the answer to that question," he said, and I thought maybe I'd touched on a nerve by asking. 

"I think you're incredible. You could be descended from a god," I observed, ever aware I was pressed up against his totally god-like physique. 

"That's an interesting theory," he said. "All I know is that something's out here."

"What?"

"Her. The Deep. My mom believes she's a goddess. I just know she calls to me. She calls to all of us in one way or another."

I smiled faintly at the mysteriousness of it all, the way he was, enchanting and otherworldly. I could believe that some water goddess called to him.