Unlike most people who worked for Shawn, Nurse Carla was on her own terms. She owed no debts to him and was here simply to help a young woman have a healthy pregnancy and delivery. She would stick around for the first year or so to help with the baby and take care of Bri postnatal.

Abrielle had begun nesting a few months ago and felt the constant need to clean up everything. Poor Sapphire was afraid to go near her. She had been receiving multiple baths a day, and Shawn had to tell her to let the dog alone. She had even begun messing in Shayla's room cleaning up. So Shayla, taking advantage of having a free maid, didn't bother to clean her room anymore.

Shawn always scolded his sister for this, telling her she knew she was wrong and that the girl was seven months pregnant. Shayla shrugged. If her pregnant ass wanted to be doing the shit, she was going to let her.

When they walked into the house, Erma was making dinner, and Abrielle immediately started cleaning dishes her mother was no longer using. Erma paid this no mind. She had had three children and was unphased by nesting. Shawn, on the other hand, was freaking out, telling Abrielle to sit down and just chill out. But Erma had informed it was normal, and Bri wasn't doing anything strenuous and would be fine. Dish soap never killed anyone, but stop her from playing with those chemicals.

Fortunately, Abrielle didn't have as much energy as she did during the last three months. So she wasn't bouncing around to clean up anymore.

Shawn left it alone and went to the nursery he had set up. He was nearly finished. All that was left was to put together the crib. He had gotten a pale blue carpet put down and painted the walls a deeper baby blue with little white clouds.

He had asked Larielle to come out one weekend and do some painting on the walls with Evan. He was sure they'd get a kick out of that. Until Evan would start talking about babies and freak the poor girl out. Which, to Shawn, never got old. It was hilarious.

When Abrielle came up the stairs, she looked at her husband and tried to see the nursery, but he closed the door and redirected her. "Nice try. I told you it's a surprise, and you have to wait."

She pouted, but he just kissed her head. "Shayla, let's go and eat," he called.

"How did you know?" Abrielle asked.

"Because I'm me. Stop asking questions."

They went down to the kitchen, and Shayla was right behind them. "Hey, where's Evan?" Abrielle wondered.

"He's with my future daughter-in-law, hopefully holding off on the future grandchildren."

"So are we going to skip the chit chat and... I dunno... Eat?" Abrielle asked, sitting down and piling her plate up with food.

Shawn shook his head as he watched her. He could see the baby move as Bri shoved her face with what she could.

"Didn't he just go see her? And isn't today your birthday?"

Shayla just ate her soup, ignoring the question. Yes, it was her birthday. No, she wasn't going to celebrate it. She had practically started the engine for Evan. If he was in Larielle's face, there was no way he could be in hers.

It was the middle of February, but Shayla was still grieving. And would be fine some days, but then be not speaking the next. Living with her was like walking on eggshells. The only person she never seemed to yell at was her son.

"So what are you, Shay? Pisces or Aquarius?" Bri asked, trying to make conversation.

Shayla shrugged, twirling her spoon in her soup. "Both, I guess. I don't really care much for astrology. I'm going to bed."