Chapter 5

Luke felt tears come to his eyes, relief washing over him. He pressed his face into Layton's orange familiar shirt, listening to his heartbeat and feeling the most warmth in forever. Layton ruffled Luke's once silky hair, feeling the strands which had sadly lost some lustre from getting here and being too depressed to properly wash his hair.

Layton gently pulled Luke's face from his chest, leaning down gradually. Luke shut his eyes and allowed the professor to kiss him. Luke pressed his hands to Layton's chest while the professor held him. The two enjoyed each other's company, and both felt in paradise. Luke felt any depression leave him, merely melting away in the kiss.

Layton pulled back and continued snuggling the child in his arms. Luke buried his face in Layton's chest affectionately, before yawning.

"Professah... I'm sleepy..." Luke murmured, eyelids beginning to feel heavy. He struggled to keep his eyes open, but he didn't want to be away from Layton's side.

"Do you want me to tuck you in?" Layton kept Luke firmly wrapped in his arms, but appeared to speak with a subtle joy in his voice. Luke could hear it and it made him feel loved. Layton was his most favourite thing in the world.

"Can I sleep in your bed with you?" Luke asked in a shy voice, before yawning and rubbing his eyes.

"If you w-want." Layton squeezed Luke a little in his arms and stood up, lifting him and carrying him. Luke smiled up at Layton with a cute little beam.

Layton carried the tired child down a corridor of his apartment flat and opened the door to his room.

"Do you s-still have some of m-my pyjamas here?" Luke asked in a tired drawl, but cute would be the last thing that tiredness would take from him.

Layton paused for a moment. "Pyj-? Oh. Yes." Layton's voice was neutral but appeared to have underlying disappointed tones. He put Luke down on the ground and gestured to the door of his old room. Luke had left some of his stuff in London when he moved.

Luke pushed open the door to his room and found it was spotless. His bed had a few unfamiliar plushies, a new duvet, stuff on the dresser... Layton must have put some stuff in there.

Luke opened his old pyjama drawer and pulled on some old silky shirt over his head Layton had bought for him, and light shorts. Luke met Layton again in the hallway, who had just changed into a casual loose fitting shirt and shorts. Luke hadn't seen Layton in casual clothing, and it came across as quite a surprise.

"Those look cute." Layton commented with a smile at Luke's silky soft long-sleeved pyjamas. A blush crossed Luke's soft cheeks as his hands pushed the door open to Layton's room.

Luke pretty much jumped onto the bed, bouncing a little bit before laying down and snuggling under the covers. Layton shut the door, assuming Luke wasn't going to be afraid of the dark when he was there.

"Is this too dark?"

"Of course not, professah - you're here to protect me anyway~"

Layton smiled at Luke's trust, sliding in beside him and finding the boy immediately clinging to his side.

Layton rolled onto his side and wrapped his arms around Luke, pulling him into a warm embrace for the night. Luke gently kissed Layton's chest and shut his eyes. He was back to his normal peppy self again, complete.

Layton had wanted to hug Luke like this for a while, and felt at peace now that he could. He felt Luke fall limp in his embrace as the child fell asleep. He fell asleep in his arms. Layton was in a silent heaven over how much Luke loved and trusted him. He was gradually feeling himself falling asleep...

Luke woke up that morning to find Layton's lips pressed to his forehead. It was a nice way to wake up. Layton was asleep, however, but even so.

"Good morning, professah..." Luke whispered, planting a sweet little kiss on his chest and taking one of his hands, gently licking his fingers affectionately.

Layton remained asleep for a few minutes but woke up to find the child with his eyes closed and sucking on his index finger lovingly. He didn't stop Luke, but stroked his hair.

"Good morning, my boy." Layton greeted him in his mellow tones. Luke opened his eyes again, stopping the nomming on his finger and snuggled into Layton more.

"I'm afraid today I'm going to need to ask you some things about how you got here." Layton ruffled Luke's hair for compensation. "Is that okay?"

"It's fine..." Luke was clearly more focused on Layton ruffling his hair and gently massaging his scalp.