Chapter 11

I return to work today and I'm no where ready. I was in our room getting ready as I buttoned my shirt and looked for my heels and I felt the tension in the air. I haven't really spoken to Thomas and I could tell it was putting a strain on us. I hadn't told him how I felt, but I'd rather it be this way.

He entered the room and he was so handsome in his black suit. He was always dressed like he was getting married, and I was attracted to his strong demeanor. But, today he wasn't has sharp. He had stubble and his hair was messy. He looked as empty as I did and I knew I couldn't just open up to him just yet. It had been 2 weeks since we buried her, and I realized that it was my due date.

My eyes teared up as I turned away from Thomas and continued to get ready. Thomas walked up behind me and wrapped his arms around me. I stopped getting ready and I began crying.

He turned me around and let me lay my head on him. "We're going to try again Vinnie in a few weeks. I promise. It'll be better this time." I sobbed harder and pulled away from him. "It's my fault Thomas. I... I should have known something was wrong. I should have known." I cried as he hugged me.

"It isn't your fault Vin. You wouldn't have known. None of us did. Maybe this is a good thing, we can be prepared for a new baby. We can have everything ready for our new one." He tried to comfort me, but I felt even worse. We left the apartment together and the drive to work was silent. I re-applied my smeared makeup and he was concentrating hard on the road as he drove. I looked over a few times to see him wiping a tear of two away, and I stayed silent. I didn't want to press him for answers, and I wasn't actually in the mood today to really talk.

We arrived at work and Beatrice met me at the door. She hugged me and when she saw that I wasn't pregnant anymore, she became happy, then worried because she remembered today was my due date. "Where's the baby, Vinnita?" She questioned as we slowly made our way to the elevator.

A tear slid down my face and she gasped. "When did it happen?" She whispered as her eyes became glossy. "2 weeks ago. Her cord strangled her." I replied and Beatrice hugged me. "Vinnita, i have 10 kids of my own and 23 grandkids. I lost 3 of them in infancy. One was stillborn, the others were twins that died at 2 months old. I know all to well what you're going through. But, if you have another you hold that child like there's no tomorrow. A loss makes you appreciate life so much more." I gave her a tight hug before turning and entering the elevator.

**************************
I got to my desk and had a small pile of papers to file. Same old asshole boyfriend of mine.

I clicked away and typed what I could but it was no use, I was so distracted I couldn't work. I looked at the time to see I had only been working for an hour. I groaned and slowly pushed away from my desk.

I guess I could check on Thomas, seeing as how he hasn't left his office yet. I opened the door and slowly shut it behind me. He was sitting at his desk and had tears down his face as he looked at something. "Thomas. Are you okay?" I asked as I approached the desk.

He slid Paden's last ultrasound picture toward me and I slowly picked it up. "What did I do to deserve this, Vinnita?" He questioned me as he voice began cracking from emotions. "Why, did I fall so in love with a little girl that I never actually got to see. Just to have her ripped away from me." He wiped a stray tear away and stood from his chair.

He made his way to me and grabbed my hands. "What did I do to deserve such an amazing woman who stood by my side as I laid dying in a hospital bed. The same woman I tried pushing away so many times. Who just lost a huge part of her heart when she lost her daughter." He whispered as he stared into my eyes.

He pulled me into his chest and he began to sob. I have seen him cry before. Once when I told him I was pregnant, then again when we lost her. But now, he is sobbing and my hot blooded boss that once made my blood boil, is now my broken boyfriend.

I squeezed him as tight as I could and felt a sudden pain in my stomach. I pulled away and grabbed my stomach. I doubled over in pain and I felt him kneel down next to me. "Are you okay, Vinnie?" He questioned as my vision became blurry.

I stumbled my way to the trash can near his desk and began vomiting. I felt his arms pull me up as my vision remained distorted. He lowered me to the ground and pulled his phone out and began dialing someone.

I drifted in and out before finally falling asleep.

I woke up to the sound of a quickly beating heart monitor. I tried opening my eyes but the blinding light forced me to shut them.

"And there is the baby." An unknown lady said. What baby?

I felt the bed shift next to me and I couldn't move at all. "That's my baby?" A man asked and I realized it was Thomas. Wait, what's going on?

"Ma'am, she just delivered a still born not even three weeks ago, how is that possible?" Thomas asked as his cold hand grabbed mine. "Well," she began, "It seems that she may have ovulated twice at different times before she realized she was pregnant. If that's the case, she would have been pregnant with two babies at the same time, like twins, but only sharing the womb and not identical DNA. If that's the case, then she was pregnant with baby number two, and didn't even realize it." I heard the nurse put up the machine and thank Thomas before leaving.

"Vinnita, I don't know if you're awake, but you have another baby in there. I don't want to tell you what it is until you wake up for me." He whispered as he kissed my hand. "We missed them on all of our ultrasounds. As crazy as that sounds, there's another baby in there."

I felt tears well up as I tried staying awake. Then I felt the familiar pain again. I groaned and Thomas squeezed my hand. He pressed the nurse call button and began speaking into it, "Room 456 is awake. Vinnita Hutton is awake, she just made a noise. I think she's in pain."

*********************
I didn't have time to wake up, I didn't have time for medicine or to even be happy I had a child still in me, but somehow, that little baby hid in me deep inside to hide all of their existence.

I pushed with all of my strength and I held Thomas's hand tightly in mine as I pushed. My body had went into labor unexpectedly, and I had a child I didn't know existed. I had passed out from the stress and recovering from my previous labor.

One. More. Push.
Then I heard the cry. "It's a girl." Thomas cried as the nurses whisked her away for her vitals. I laid back and sighed. I had no medicine, but I was in heaven right now. I looked up at Thomas and he leaned down to kiss me. I had a sudden realization and pulled his face close to mine, "Lydia Monroe Kuscove. She's our angel, she deserves it." I whispered before they laid her in my arms and I looked down into her dark eyes.

She looked exactly like Paden. I wanted to cry, but I knew I had to stay strong. I had what I wanted now, but I still felt pain for the daughter I had that would never have an actual life.

Thomas took her into his arms and snuggled her closely.

Thomas's P.O.V

I felt like my world crumbled from beneath me when Vinnita passed out. I didn't know what I'd do if I lost someone else. First Lydia, then Paden, now Vinni? I would hate myself. When the nurse described to me what had happened, I nearly fainted. I didn't know what to say.

Then she was born. April 15 at 9:58 P.M. I held her and I saw the face of Lydia in hers. A spitting image of my lost sister. I remember when I actually held Lydia as a baby, I laugh now because I told my mom to put her back.

I looked at Vinni as she tried catching her breath. No meds this time, like she had with Paden, but I think she wanted to forget the pain of the first child.

I gave Lydia back to the nurse and kneeled down to Vinni. "Do you feel any better?" I asked as she reached for my hand.

Her life seemed to be fading as the machines began beeping. I was pushed away from her. "She's loosing a lot of blood sir. We'll need you to leave." The main nurse told me as I was forced from her side.