FOUR

There was a knock on the door of their compartment and a tearful looking, round faced boy came in. Copeland recalled passing him on the platform,

"Sorry," he murmured sorrowfully. "But have you seen a toad at all?"

When they all shook their heads, he wailed loudly, making Ron visibly cringe. "I've lost him! He keeps getting away from me!"

"He'll turn up," said Harry.

"Don't fret," Copeland smiled encouragingly at the boy. "I'm sure you'll find him soon enough."

The boy sighed, dabbing his eyes with a hankerchief.

"Yes," said the boy miserably, "Well if you see him."

With that, he left.

"Don't know why he's so bothered, if I brought a toad I'd lose it as quick as I could. Mind you, I brought Scabbers so I can't talk," Ron said, gesturing to his sleeping grey rat that sat on the windowsill.

"I tried to turn him yellow yesterday to make him seem more interesting, but the spell didn't work. I'll show you, look..."

He rummaged around in his trunk and pulled out a very battered looking wand. It was cracked and chipped and something white was glinting at the end,

"Unicorn hair is nearly poking out. Anyways-"

He had just raised his wand when the compartment door slid open. The toadless boy was back again, but this time he had a girl intow. She was already dressed in her new Hogwarts robes. She had lots of bushy brown hair and rather large front teeth.

"Has anyone seen a toad? Neville's lost one," she asked in a very loud, bossy voice.

"We've already told him we haven't see it," said Ron, but the girl wasn't listening, she kept glancing at the wand in his hand.

"Oh! Are you doing magic?" She asked excitedly, before plopping down next to him. "Let's see it, then."

Ron blinked several time at the girl before clearing his throat and beginning the incantation.

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, turn this stupid, fat rat yellow!"

He flicked his wand abruptly, but nothing happened to Scabbers.

"Are you sure that's a real spell?" asked the girl skeptically. "Well, it's not very good is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and its all worked for me-"

Copeland stopped listening and focused her eyes on the toadless boy again, Neville. He looked strangely familiar, until she realized it. There was a picture of him atop of her fireplace, next to pictures of her father, Alice and Frank Longbottom, and their Hogwarts diplomas, among other things. Why in the world was there a picture of him in her home? Copeland didn't dwell on it long, she couldn't. Before she knew it, she was being dragged away from the two boys, by the bossy girl.

"What are you doing with these two? Come on now, we will be arriving soon! Have to get you dressed!" She exclaimed.

Ron looked at Copeland sympathetically and that was the last thing she saw before the girl had successfully pulled her out of the compartment.

"Whatever house I'm in, I hope she's not in it," Copeland heard Ron tell Harry, causing the girl to visibly deflate, but she perked right up again as she began going off on another tangent.

"I'm Hermione Granger, pleasure to meet you. I introduced myself earlier, but you seemed distracted," The Granger girl mused. Copeland nodded.

"Yes, I apologize for that. I'm Copeland Lancaster, and the pleasure is truly mine," Copeland replied, smiling sweetly. Hermione's eyes brightened.